Director - Health
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
Our Global Client Solutions team is at the heart of how we define “what we do” and bring the best of the Institute to global leaders through our country advisory teams. As a centre of excellence, Global Client Solutions is comprised of our centrally-situated global and regional experts – functional and sectoral. Our experts provide valuable counsel, technical support, thought partnership, strategy, and surge capacity and lead the development and evolution of our solutions, methods, and offers in the service of our country teams of embedded advisors and partner governments.
TBI is hiring a Director, Health to lead our offers and advice to senior political leaders on top priorities in health reform, health technology, innovation and life sciences – to prepare for and engage in the future of healthcare, to shift health systems from reactive to proactive, and to manage the complex strategy, policy, and delivery required to transform and evolve healthcare.
TBI’s work in health evolved rapidly alongside the urgency for political action to respond to the pandemic. We are now in a place of evolving our health strategy, offers, and solutions in the post-pandemic context and working to ensure health stays at the top of the political agenda.
In this senior, globally situated senior leadership role, you will guide the Institute in developing, evolving, and cohering our strategy and solutions on key political debates from managing the untenable cost of care, to addressing pathways for the rapid innovation of care, and improving agile methods of healthcare delivery.
To do so, you will grow the small team of health advisor experts, harness the wider community of practice, and work with other director and pillar leads in the Global Client solutions team to ensure TBI country teams are effectively equipped to support leaders on critical areas of our offer in a variety of country contexts. You will work closely with our country and regional advisory leaders to ensure our support and offers align to client needs at scale, with our Policy & Politics team to help set the research agenda to inform bold policy solutions, and with the Strategy & Partnerships department to drive critical partnerships and harness key initiatives like the Global Health Security Consortium (GHSC) for wider client impact.
This role is both client facing as well as a senior leadership function driving institute wide collaboration and subject strategy. Global travel to engage with teams and clients is expected at 20% to 30%.
Leadership & Strategy:
- Bring strategic direction and evolve TBI’s health offer areas, enhancing our current solutions for greater impact, a globally expanding government advisory service, and ensure it is situated for serving at the senior political level.
- Ensure our solutions advice and support is relentlessly focused on client need
- Maintain relentless focus on developing practical, implementable solutions and offers which respond to global leaders most pressing challenges and top priorities in health, supporting the Executive Director and other leaders to build and enhance our offer with rigour
- Line manage and act as a thought partner to experts guiding our health solutions, evolving and growing the team as needed in partnership with the Executive Director
- Ensure visibility and grasp the topics and areas our country teams are responding to
- Guide and support prioritisation of our development of scalable solutions based on senior political leader/client demand and global growth
- Act as a thought partner and lead on specific initiatives as agreed with the Executive Director
- Work with other GCS Directors and senior advisors – functional and sectoral – to work as one team which cross-pollinates solutions across areas of our work
- Effectively mentor and empower their team of experts and the rest of the organisation to engage in communities of practice agnostic of “boxes and lines”
External engagement and business development:
- Engage with senior client stakeholders, i.e. Heads of State, Ministers, and other senior stakeholders, to advance projects and solutions.
- Represent the Institute at global events and contribute to written thought leadership and publications
- Work with the directors, providing quality assurance and on our technical input and advice
- In collaboration with Strategy & Partnerships, ensure we drive forward strategic and innovative partnerships in the health space to improve our support to government clients
- With external relations, advance TBIs participation or leadership of global events
Internal engagement & culture:
- Spearhead and lead a wider community of practice on health topics to ensure colleagues working on health and with health expertise come together to share, innovate, iterate regardless of boxes and lines.
- Drive the effective coordination of TBI policy positions on health as part of the leadership team and in collaboration with Policy & Politics and Strategy & Partnerships departments
- Contribute to learning programme for advisory professionals on health topics engaging with the Learning & knowledge team
- Engage across the organisation actioning “One TBI” to support engagement with the various elements of “what we do”
- Actively, encourage cross-TBI engagement and intentionally break down emerging regional, sectoral silos
- Shape and embody a positive culture that drives ambition, innovation and delivery
This is a senior leadership role requiring an exceptional candidate with a passion and progressive view of healthcare and innovation:
- Significant senior level experience advising senior global political leaders solve complex challenges on public health and health innovation working in government, or other professional advisory firms
- With a Graduate degree in Health-related field and recognised as a global expert in your field
- Who has a complete toolkit which enables you to identify creative solutions for complex challenges
- Who is a skilled written and verbal communicator and influencer, with documented experience providing strategic counsel to corporate executives and/or senior government officials at ministerial level and above
- With exceptional attention to detail for written deliverables and the proven ability to deliver quality written outputs under tight deadlines
- A thought leader able to represent the Institute on a global scale through publications and exclusive events
- Effective leader, not afraid to be hands-on and pull out all the stops to achieve exceptional results
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to function and influence in a matrixed, team-oriented environment to support teams achieve impact at scale under pressure.
- Experience working in multiple geographies across Europe, Asia, Middle East, and Africa including in lower-resource environments.
- Fluency in English is required with proficiency in an additional language an advantage
- Willingness to travel internationally approximately 30%