The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Washington DC or London
Head of New Business, Strategy, Pricing & Contracts
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
The Head, New Business Strategy, Pricing & Contracts for the Global New Business (GNB) unit will lead the strategy, market analytics, and price modelling for TBI’s priority institutional donor opportunity pipelines for the Americas, Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and South Asia. This role will be key in working across the Institute to establish and socialise policies and procedures for pricing strategy, and contracting mechanisms that lead to increased revenue generation and successful program implementation.
The ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial problem solver that thrives on fast-paced start-up-like operations but has advanced knowledge of best practices for competitive pricing, contracting, and value for money strategies for bilateral and multilateral funders. The candidate will enjoy building and synthesising solutions and bring a strong track-record of relationship and bid management.
This role sits within GNB and is part of the Business Development & Income division of TBI, which is part of the wider Strategy & Partnerships group (S&P). S & P is one of three external facing business critical departments, the other two being: Policy & Politics, and Global Government Advisory. The S&P department leads and oversees the Institute’s strategic direction and growth, with specific responsibility for futureproofing growth, developing scalable partnerships, innovating in tech and securing financial resources to measurably advance the Institute’s operational goals and drive sustainable impact. This is both a rewarding and positively challenging post in the organisation, with direct working relationship with other senior management. The role reports to the Head of Programme Development.
- Independently and alongside the regional Heads, Global New Business and under the guidance of the Director of Global New Business, supports the growth of TBI’s opportunity pipeline and optimisation of the win-rate through establishing and socializing policies and procedures for pricing strategy, contracting mechanisms, and value for money within BD&I and across TBI.
- Brings a good understanding of across a range of funding sources including bilateral and multilateral funding routes as well as their procurement processes, international development strategies and policies and requirements.
- Works independently and with others across the BD&I team to:
- Manage and coordinate bid submission including with partners/ as part of consortia; and
- Work closely with subject matter experts, finance, legal and monitoring and evaluation teams.
- Supports the set-up of successful bids with a focus on value for money, pricing strategy, and value for money.
- Brings an excellent understanding of and ability to produce and guide costing and budget development.
- Brings a comprehensive knowledge of contractual requirements and ability to guide and support contracting with TBI priority donors, client governments, and partners.
- Leads and collaborates with others to manage negotiation processes with donors, client governments, and partners.
- Devises and delivers initiatives across the institute to support best practices including price modelling, contracting strategies, value for money, and compliance education.
Key internal relationships: Business Development & Income, Strategy &Partnerships, Global Client Solutions, Global Government Advisory, Policy & Politics and Institute Resources (people, legal, finance, and IT teams).
This post would be a fit for a senior manager looking to use their expertise in commercial price modelling and contracting to embed best practice and deliver quality programme development who has these skills and experience:
- Significant experience of managing programme and proposal development for a range of high value donors and/ or government procurement with significant understanding and experience of identifying, positioning for and developing responses to bids as prime and/or sub contactor.
- Bachelor’s or postgraduate degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience leading and delivering high quality/high value proposal development including standing up systems to support this work.
- Demonstrable success in coordinating cross organisational teams to secure large scale contracts
- Strong numeracy skills including advanced knowledge of budget development, particularly for commercial contract opportunities.
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a demanding workload comprised of diverse and challenging tasks and responsibilities.
- Knowledge of commercial contract requirements of major bilateral and multilateral donors (USG, UKG, EU, the World Bank, the AfDB etc) including budgeting, eligibility, compliance, and work at a strategic level.
- With outstanding influencing skills and the proven ability to deliver absent of ‘command and control’ models, in a highly matrixed organisation.
- Patient, adaptable, able to improvise, and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Demonstrate leadership and management skills in a complex international setting.
- Keenly interested in the work of TBI and share in our mission and values.