The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Lusaka
Senior Manager - Delivery
Focus of the Role
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
We encourage early application as we reserve the right, if required, to close this role ahead of the date advertised.
The Zambia programme is growing and to help support and consolidate this growing programme and team, TBI is seeking to recruit a Senior Manager - Delivery. This new role will focus on supporting and nurturing our growing team, supporting the team in the management of Delivery Projects (including sector-specific ones) and accountable for delivery of result, developing and consolidating our relations with key stakeholders in government and promoting greater joint working between TBI’s team in Zambia and other colleagues across the Institute. The Senior Manager, together with other Senior Managers will support the Country Director in achieving our programme goals.
- The successful candidate must work with the Country Director, Zambia and others to:
- Core Responsibilities
- Establishing Country Program Governance Framework – mechanisms for strategy setting, project planning, reporting & evaluation, stocktakes with counterparts, and team routine check-ins for problem solving, alignment and coordination
- Leveraging tech as enabler across Delivery projects while working closely with Senior Manager – Digital Tech and Transformation
- Enhancing synergy and cross-project pollination across delivery and tech projects
- Accountable to Country Director for delivering on Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), working alongside other Senior Manager(s)/Advisor(s)
- Accountable to Country Director for the performance and development of team members under the Delivery Pillar
- Build and manage a high performing team, working alongside the Country Director
- Help build and manage a high performing team, manage team performance and delivery quality, facilitating linkages to TBI sectoral and other country team colleagues
- Establish and oversee recruitment process (esp. screening frameworks) for all in-country hiring (in collaboration with central HR)
- Challenge ways of working in the team to drive impact and guide technical experts to problem-solve delivery issues and unblock bottlenecks across Delivery projects
- Responsible for the performance and development of team members under the Delivery Pillar
- Play a key role in setting the strategic direction of the project, leading performance reviews and measurement of impact
- Ensure robust project design framework, including sound theory change and clear measurement framework for result across all country projects
- Contribute to the strategy with respect to the Delivery Pillar – including the synergies it will have with Tech Projects
- Responsible for identification and development of new strategic opportunities for TBIs engagement – lead ideation and project development cycle
- Collaborate with the Senior Strategic Advisor to have an in-depth understanding of socio-economic and political context of Zambia to inform project design and execution
- Be responsible for designing and executing a Country Programme Governance Framework - including mechanisms for strategy setting, project planning, reporting & evaluation, stocktakes with counterparts, and team routine check-ins for problem solving, alignment and coordination
- Responsible for country program reporting to Regional Director, Africa Managing Director, and the wider TBI central team
- Responsible for documentation of evidence, learnings, and knowledge materials
- Support the Country Director build and maintain senior government and key Partner relationships
- Provide, as required, high quality advice to senior government counterparts as well as TBI leadership through Executive Briefs
- Serve as a go-to advisor for senior counterparts across project engagements.
- Support the Country Director in developing and maintaining key relationships with stakeholders and Partners (e.g. actors in the sectors we work, financing Partners/donors)
- Support the enablers of the Zambia programme: business development, thought leadership and fundraising
- Ensure utilization of TBI-wide resource for enhancement of support to GOZ
- Contribute to organisational learning by identifying innovations and factors which contribute to or inhibit success and impact
- Lead on developing an in-country Partnership and Fundraising Framework
- Lead on development of marketing materials, presentations and proposals/bids for partnership and fundraising
- Contribute analysis, lessons learnt, case studies and/or policy papers as necessary to support TBI fundraising, partnership and communications activities.
- Lead on country program periodic resource planning – both human resource, financial and other requirements, in collaboration with the country Senior Leadership
- Build and maintain a license to operate
- Accountable to Country Director on all Country Finance & Operations management, including setting up/enhancing existing finance & operations manuals and systems to enhance operations
- Ensure timely completion of financial processes, review and approve all services and suppliers relating to the project
- Ensure all risks to project and staff are identified and managed adequately and emergency protocols are in-place to maximise the safety and well-being of the team
- Ensure all legal requirements are met for operating in country, including initiating, and supporting all legal status activities relating to the project and TBI staff in country; and those policies, procedures and the Code of Conduct are adhered to all times
We are looking for an outstanding individual with drive, resilience, a can-do attitude and track record of delivering successfully. They should have extensive experience of working with government, of managing a team, proven skills in contacting high level contacts with senior governmental interlocutors and other partners and familiarity with project planning and management.
- Relationship building and stakeholder management
- Coaching and people management
- Strategic planning and decision-making
- Problem solving and analysis
- Written and verbal communication
Knowledge and Experience:
- Significant professional experience (required)
- An excellent academic record, including a Bachelors degree (required) and a Masters degree (desirable)
- A prior experience on working in a ‘Delivery System’ and/or implementing a ‘Delivery Mechanism’ (required)
- A good understanding of Government systems and/or relevant sector expertise (required)
- An experience working with Senior Government Counterparts such as Ministers/Permanent Secretaries/Directors (required)
- A prior experience working at the centre of government such as Presidents/Prime Ministers Office (desired)
- A prior experience of managing/coordinating teams to deliver on specific programs/outcomes (required)
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office products Word, Excel and PowerPoint (required)