The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Lusaka
Manager - Programme Delivery
Focus of the Role
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
We encourage early application as we reserve the right, if required, to close this role ahead of the date advertised.
Are you excited by the prospect of designing and implementing high impact transformation programmes from the centre of government? Do you have experience advising senior political leadership on strategy, policy, delivery, technology? Do you have experience of consulting, or working in the public sector and of leading teams of Advisors?
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) has been working with the Government of Zambia since 2022. Working hand-in-hand with the centre of government, the project is led by a Country Director, with a team currently consisting of diverse professionals supporting the government in across different ministries.
We are looking to hire an exceptional Programme Manager with experience and expertise across government advisory to support our multiple sectoral and functional projects under the leadership of a Senior Manager.
The position is full-time with at least two-years contract based in Lusaka, Zambia and starts as soon as possible on the identification of a suitable candidate.
The President of Zambia officially announced the establishment of a Presidential Delivery Unit (PDU) and his commitment on driving delivery of strategic matters through the PDU. TBI supported the establishment of the PDU and the development of a Delivery Plan contributing to the seven outcome areas identified by the President – Job Creation; Increasing Household Income; Efficient Value Chains; Value Addition; Export Diversification; Enhanced Public Services; and Project Delivery.
The Programme Manager will support the Senior Manager on project delivery, particularly focused on the Presidential Delivery Unit priorities across different areas including agriculture, mining, trade & infrastructure, private sector development and investment while mainstreaming tech as enabler.
The role requires understanding of the wider political economy of Zambia, proven experience in project management and the right skills, temperament and drive to deliver in a complex and sensitive government environment.
We would consider supporting applicants not currently based in or with a right to work in Zambia to relocate for this role.
- Contribute to country strategy setting process
- With guidance from the Senior Manager, significantly contribute to planning, goal setting, OKR development under respective portfolios
- Under the guidance of the Senior Manager, ensure utilisation of institute wide resource across all programmes to bring the best of TBI to clients
- Program Management & Evaluation
- Working closely with the Senior Manager, review and maintain project goals, plans, proof points and OKRs
- Accountable for ensuring cross-project pollination and coordination on implementation level and delivery of result
- Support Managers and Advisors to develop new strategic opportunities with counterparts and incubating the opportunities to programmes
- Responsible to ensure all the required input and preparation is in place for periodic planning and evaluation cycle, including closely track trajectories of implementation against setout OKRs and programme targets, guide and support Managers and Advisors to fast-track delivery; prepare status reports and establish effective project communication plans; and support on development of project evaluation and identification of success stories and learnings
- Stakeholder Management
- Support the Senior Manager to maintain effective and trusted relationships in government in line with the program strategy and positioning
- Support the Senior Manager to engage with relevant external stakeholders such as investors, development partners, tech hubs, not for profit organisations, media, suppliers, and agencies as directed
- Contribute to communication material development, pitching and presenting, enhancing TBI Zambia’s visibility and linkage with internal and external stakeholders
- Lead on the overall cycle of recruitment process, from terms of reference development, to designing evaluation matrix, coordinating interviews, and putting in-place a robust onboarding process
- Support junior staff (Associate and Analysts) on overall strategy setting, stakeholder engagement, and execution delivery of workplans. Provide guidance to problem-solve issues and unblock bottlenecks, enhancing quality work through analysis
- Role-model best practice in people management and in creating a culture of high performance
- ONE TBI
- Contribute analysis, lessons learnt, case studies, and/or policy papers as necessary to support TBI fundraising, partnership, and communication activities
- Contribute towards creating a ONE TBI programme by motivating a culture of collaboration, cross pollination, sense of urgency for delivery and response
This is a role in a fast-paced team, working within complex policy areas that are highly scrutinised. We are looking for enthusiastic and resilient individuals with a “can-do” outlook and the ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for an individual competencies and experience:
- Relationship building and stakeholder management.
- Coaching and people management
- Strategic planning and decision-making
- Problem solving and analysis.
- Written and verbal communication
Knowledge and experience:
- Significant professional experience on programme development and management
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills, including sound knowledge of data analysis, strategic planning, and project management tools
- Experience in management consulting and/or government advisory related to strategic communication
- A good understanding of Government systems and/or relevant sector expertise
- Able to work flexibly and be adaptable, open to changing approaches in response to changing situations on the ground (desired)
- Proven understanding of policy context, how to influence policy and the discretion and judgment needed to navigate a complex political environment (desired)
- An experience working with Senior Government Counterparts such as Ministers/Permanent Secretaries/Directors (desired)
- A highly articulate person, able to work in the face of a range of competing views and priorities, possessing highly developed communication and negotiation skills (required)
- Prior experience on working in a ‘Delivery System’ and/or implementing a ‘Delivery Mechanism’ (desirable)
- Prior experience working at the center of government such as Presidents/Prime Minister’s Office (desired)
- Prior experience of managing/coordinating teams to deliver on specific programs/outcomes
- Productive and resilient in a dynamic and challenging environment with an ability to think creatively and solve problems
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office products Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English is required