The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Lusaka
Senior Advisor - Mining
Focus of the Role
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
We encourage early application as we reserve the right, if required, to close this role ahead of the date advertised.
Are you excited by the prospect of implementing a high impact transformation programme for the mining sector from the centre of government? Do you have experience advising senior political leadership in the mining sector? Do you have experience of consulting, or working in the public sector and of leading teams of advisers?
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) has been working with the Government of Zambia since 2022. Working hand-in-hand with the Office of the President of the Republic of Zambia, the project is led by a Country Director, with a team currently consisting of diverse professionals supporting the government in across different ministries.
We are hiring a Senior Mining Advisor to support the Presidential Delivery Unit (PDU) established under the Office of the President, particularly on supporting accelerated results in the mining sector and electric vehicle value chain.
The position is full-time, with a minimum duration of 2 years and starts as soon as possible on the identification of a suitable candidate.
The President of Zambia has officially announced the establishment of a Presidential Delivery Unit (PDU) and his commitment on driving delivery of strategic matters through the PDU. TBI supported the establishment of the PDU and is now focused on implementing the Delivery Agenda contributing to the seven outcome areas identified by the President – Job Creation; Increasing Household Income; Efficient Value Chains; Value Addition; Export Diversification; Enhanced Public Services; and Project Delivery.
The Advisor will work closely with the PDU and contribute to supporting the oversight of the identified and scoped priority mining sector solutions:
- Geological data gathering leading to increase exploration investment.
- An increase in copper production.
- Electric vehicle battery chain development.
- Formalisation of the Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining sector.
- Development of the emerald and semi-precious stones sector, including the development of a beneficiation ecosystem.
The Advisor is expected to lead on stakeholder engagement and management across the broader ecosystem; serve as a thought partner and go-to person for the leadership of the PDU and critical implementing partners. You will also be accountable for managing the performance and delivery of Associates working under their supervision and expected to work closely with other Managers in the team.
- Advise the PDU (and stakeholders) on priority delivery issues, including identifying issues and recommendations which require their intervention
- Build strong and collaborative working relationships within the delivery unit and with core ecosystem actors, including implementing government institutions and cooperating partners
- Providing as needed briefings and summary documents to the Ministry of Mining and Minerals Development (MMMD) and the Ministry of Commerce, Trade, and Industry (MCTI) senior leadership in advance of key meetings
- Other duties relating to PDU Mining priorities as assigned by PDU Leadership, Minister and Permanent Secretary
Client and stakeholder engagement
- Support the PDU Delivery Manager on leveraging delivery mechanism for tracking performance, problem-solving and for stocktaking of progress and learning
- Work with relevant public institutions to track progress of priority mining interventions against implementation plans, using data-driven and effective monitoring tools
- Hands-on support to relevant public institutions to problem-solve and fast-track implementation of priority interventions, identifying and overcoming bottlenecks and obstacles to delivery (including capacity gaps)
- Analyse data to identify whether priority mining interventions are on track to achieve their goals and to predict the impact of interventions
- Contribute periodic delivery reports, summarising progress of priority interventions, identifying obstacles, and recommending solutions
- Support relevant public institutions to prepare for stock-take meetings with senior leadership
- Prepare reports and briefings pertaining to relevant priority interventions as directed by the Head of Unit
Driving delivery of priority outcomes
- Take responsibility for the quality and timeliness of key deliverables of the project
- Mentor and coach junior colleagues to help them to perform their roles effectively and to support their personal development
- Role-model best practice in people management – motivating Associates/Analysts and creating a culture of high performance, leading regular team meetings, setting individual objectives, allocating tasks and monitoring progress against objectives and workplans
This is a role in a fast-paced team, working within complex policy areas that are highly scrutinised. We are looking for enthusiastic and resilient individuals with a “can-do” outlook and the ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for an individual competencies and experience:
- Mining sector governance and solution implementation
- Relationship building and stakeholder management
- Coaching and people management
- Strategic planning and decision-making
- Problem solving and analysis
- Written and verbal communication
Knowledge and experience required:
- Broad and comprehensive professional experience as a mining advisor/consultant
- An excellent academic record, including a bachelor’s degree (required) and a master’s degree (desirable)
- A prior experience on working in a ‘Delivery System’ and/or implementing a ‘Delivery Mechanism’
- A good understanding of Government systems and/or relevant sector expertise.
- A prior experience working at the centre of government such as Presidents/Prime Minister’s Office or working with Senior Government Counterparts such as Ministers/Permanent Secretaries/Directors (desirable)
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office products Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English is required