Centre of Government and Delivery Strategic Advisor - Angola
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
With the third largest GDP in Africa and 31 million inhabitants, Angola surpasses other important economies in the region, such as Nigeria, in terms of GDP per capita ($3,432). Angola is the second largest oil producer in Africa. Oil production comprises 97% of exports and 63% of tax revenues. Though the oil industry only accounts for 30% of GDP, a large part of the services sector (about 40% of GDP) is indirectly driven by the oil industry. The culmination of the commodities boom in 2014 evidenced the lack of sustainability of the economic model. The Government intends to diversify the economy beyond extractives launching a programme to increase production, import substitutes and diversify exports.
The Government of Angola (GoA) plans to establish a Delivery Unit—Unidade de Monitorização dos Projetos do Executivo (UMAPE)—in the President’s Auxiliary Bodies to implement its key social, economic and political reforms aimed at improving citizens' lives; fostering a job-creating economy; and ensuring transparency and good use of public funds.
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) will support GoA in designing and operationalizing UMAPE, therefore we are looking to recruit an exceptional individual with experience in centre of government and delivery to provide strategic advice and capacity building support.
The post-holder will provide high-quality implementable advice to senior officials in the President’s Auxiliary Bodies and UMAPE under the oversight of the Minister of State for Economic Coordination. He/she will also work shoulder to shoulder with UMAPE’s team and build the Unit’s delivery capacity. Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Support the President’s Auxiliary Bodies, Ministry of State for Economic Coordination and implementing institutions to deliver on the UMAPE’s objective and mandate
- Support UMAPE’s leadership to put in place appropriate systems, structures and skills for the Unit
- Develop and support implementation of the necessary frameworks and mechanisms for prioritisation, planning and performance management functions
- Facilitate capacity building workshops and role model a mind-set of continuous improvement and learning within UMAPE, and across government
- Develop and maintain trust-based relationships with government and non-government actors at all levels
- Facilitate joint reviews and problem-solving sessions with relevant stakeholders to identify barriers to delivery, support in resolving and escalating bottlenecks as appropriate to the concerned
- Offer an independent and objective view of UMAPE’s delivery plan implementation
- Serve as a thought partner and expert on matters of delivery and performance management systems for senior government officials, and TBI East and Southern Africa Regional Director
Other internal TBI responsibilities
- Contribute to wider scoping of TBI-A future workstreams including strategy development, reporting, organisation wide coordination and engagement
- Support TBI East and Southern Africa Regional Director to participate and collaborate with other TBI projects, sharing knowledge and supporting thought leadership efforts
- Provide support to colleagues within the TBI Angola team, including on economic transformation and delivery
In all these areas of work, the Advisor will be expected to work closely with TBI’s international network of expert delivery advisors and contribute to TBI’s Centre of Government community of practice.
The successful candidate will thrive in an environment where the importance of personal initiative coupled with teamwork is critical. Above all s/he will build effective relationships, win trust, and help shape and influence change in government. With a good knowledge of delivery principles and processes, s/he will have a grounding in project and programme management, capacity development and policy reform. Desired qualifications and competencies include:
- 7-9 years of work experience in management consulting, project management and/or Delivery;
- Excellent in building and managing effective relationships, including the ability to navigate a complex political environment. Experience working in Africa is desirable;
- Ability in influencing, coaching and delivering change through others;
- Strong analytical, problem solving, strategic planning and decision-making capabilities;
- A creative and entrepreneurial approach to overcoming barriers and making change happen, and the ability to cope in an emotionally demanding environment;
- Strong team player with outstanding team management skills;
- Self-starter, motivated and proactive with solutions;
- Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice;
- Ability to reside in Luanda for the duration of the project – two (2) years;
- Fluency in Portuguese and English is required.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute for Global Change (TBI) aims to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies in an interconnected world. Our focus is on the areas where we think we can offer leaders new thinking and new approaches. In each of these areas, our 200 members of staff, based all over the world, are breaking new ground. Through our policy and advisory work we are helping countries, their people and their governments, address some of the most difficult challenges in the world today.
In our Africa government advisory work, we believe Africa’s transformation trajectory comes down to effective government, with an effective delivery machinery, capable of achieving concrete results. The Institute has vast experience in supporting governments to build and strengthen their delivery capabilities and has provided delivery support to more than twenty countries over the past eleven years.
Delivery is a specialised approach to designing, managing, and monitoring the implementation of government priorities that are intended to have a significant effect on development outcomes and is an anchor function of the Centre of Government. It supports the systems and structures that channel the leader’s authority throughout government, reinforce their priorities, and get them the right information at the right time to drive progress. Our embedded advisors work to support a range of functions including supporting systems for government-wide strategic planning, cross-government performance management, delivery oversight on flagship projects, strategic communications, and support to leaders’ executive offices. We also support the establishment and reinforcement of delivery oversight systems and structures away from the centre of government, both within specific line ministries and with sub-national administrations.