Strategic Advisor â E-Commerce
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
The Tony Blair Institute in collaboration with the Rwanda Development Board (RDB) is recruiting a Strategic Advisor to work with RDB. The advisor shall support RDB towards increasing exports to China and other international markets, and in diversifying the export base.
Vision 2050 and the National Strategy for Transformation (NST1) set out targets for Rwanda’s transition to a high-income economy, built through private sector-led growth and human capital development. To achieve this will require sustained high GDP growth rates, expansion of the export base, and inclusive and job-creating public and private investment. Improving Rwanda’s access to the global digital economy and expanding trade opportunities for Rwandan exports are central to these ambitions.
Further, given the global trade context due to Covid-19, Rwanda is seeking to seize additional opportunities to expand its e-commerce footprint and engage international investors. In support of this, the Government of Rwanda and Alibaba Group have started the Electronic World Trade Platform (eWTP) project, supporting the development of the digital economy in Rwanda and making it easier for Rwandan companies to participate in global trade. Under this project, the focus is on: Tourism, Trainings and Education, e-commerce, e-payment, and a horticulture marketplace.
- Provide strategic advice to RDB on the implementation of eWTP and identify additional opportunities to drive e-commerce and support Rwandan firms to engage in global trade
- Conduct economic analysis and develop strategies to boost Rwanda’s trade and export competitiveness
- Conduct economic analysis of trade statistics, sectoral performance, market and microeconomic analysis for exporting firms/companies to enhance export competitiveness
- Support RDB in repositioning of Rwanda with regards to export diversification and value addition, with a focus on the Chinese market
- Develop a sales and marketing strategy to increase Rwandan exports
- Structure and drive the online and on-ground marketing strategies to increase Rwandan product sales volumes on eWTP with Alibaba Group
- Identify top 20 firms with potential and design a suitable marketing strategy to increase sales in the China market under the eWTP
- Assist RDB in organising and coordinating online and offline promotional events, facilitating B2B sessions with Chinese buyers and advising Rwandan Exporters to meet buyers requirements
- Structure and drive tourism marketing to increase tourism through e-commerce platforms (post Covid-19)
We are searching for an experienced Strategic Advisor to work closely with RDB to tap into the full potential of this special partnership with Alibaba Group, and to position Rwanda to access greater global trade opportunities in the post-Covid investment climate. The Advisor will benefit from being part of the TBI Rwanda team, a network of experienced advisors based at the centre of government and in key ministries and institutions supporting the government’s agenda for economic transformation.
The Tony Blair Institute for Global Change aims to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies in an interconnected world. We do this through developing policy and advising governments.
This is a role in a fast-paced government, working within complex policy areas that are highly scrutinised. Therefore the successful candidate for the role should be able to display the majority of the following:
- A Master’s degree in Marketing, Economics, Statistics, Finance, Business, or a closely related field
- Experience working primarily within the private sector. Ideally with some exposure to public sector organisations in developing and implementing business support
- Proven experience working with the Asian/Chinese market and international investors
- Strong analytical and research skills. Excellent marketing, business writing, presentation skills, negotiation and verbal communication skills (in English)
- Proficient in oral and written English; knowledge of Mandarin Chinese is an added advantage
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and a can-do attitude
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and perform other duties as reasonably required to achieve the goals of your team and the Institute
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute for Global Change (TBI) aims to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies in an interconnected world. We do this through our Policy Futures ideas and our Government Advisory Practice. What we believe in as an organisation:
- Open and Progressive – you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic – you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers – you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you're successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.