Global Director,Tech for Development
Focus of the Role
Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in Africa and Asia through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, health and climate? Do you have experience of leading the rapid scale up of a business units or operations in the private sector or in a not for profit? Maybe you have experience in government of setting up or leading delivery units?
This strategically important role will rapidly scale a tech transformation initiative, which has been enabled by a dynamic external partner, across existing and new operations in the Tony Blair Institute’s Government Advisory and Tech & Public Policy divisions. This landmark initiative will be delivered in 30 countries. The post holder will drive this new global programme, lead a central global unit based in TBI HQ (London, UK), support country teams in each country of operation, and will work closely with our Tech and Public Policy team in delivery of the initiative.
This is a senior role requiring an exceptional candidate.
Key outcomes of the role
- Scaled TBI operations into 30 existing and new countries of operation by end 2022;
- Tangible results delivered in tech for development, such as deployment of solutions from the current pandemic response and digital health offer, to proximate use cases such as digital payments, digital ID;
- Delivery of alignment and expansion of TBI’s global tech & public policy work; and
- Expenditure in line with budget
- Strategy and Planning: Design, maintain and continually improve the strategy, plans and global playbook to roll out our tech for development initiative to 30 countries.
- Execution and Monitoring: Establish, review and maintain high level data driven project goals, plans, proof points and KPIs. Serve as the focal point for this initiative, oversee output quality control and tools to support execution. Engage with our Executive Chairman and ExCo to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage the initiative across the organisation. Ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established amongst budget delegations. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial processes are in place.
- People: Recruit, directly manage and develop a core global team to report the post holder (with immediate effect to hire a senior Associate and 1 or 2 Analysts). Shape and embody a culture that drives innovation and delivery. Support country and regional teams to hire, manage and develop tech for development teams, critically providing quality control of new hires and mentoring. The post holder and his/her team will be expected to play a key role in the broader community at TBI and will be expected to build strong working relationships.
- External Relations: Engage with key donors, relevant external stakeholders such as other not for profit organisations, media, suppliers and agencies.
- One TBI: While formally reporting to the Executive Director External Relations, the post holder will also regularly work closely with the CEO, Executive Directors for Government Advisory, Tech & Public Policy, Country Heads and Directors of Legal, People and Finance.
We are looking for an experienced leader:
- Who is strategic and can challenge the status-quo and develop plans for successful delivery of challenging objectives;
- With a bachelor’s or postgraduate degree or equivalent practical experience;
- A minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience;
- With demonstrable experience in technology enterprises or programmes;
- Who commits to business objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met;
- With outstanding management skills and the proven ability to build and inspire teams to achieve ambitious objectives;
- Who is a communicator and influencer, from board level through to technical level and is adept at managing up and beyond hierarchy; and
- Who has worked in developing and emerging economies and is sensitive to a diverse range of cultural and regional norms, and will foster a positive spirit of collaboration between our countries of operation and our global TBI tech transformation offer
The following is also desirable:
- Experience in the end-to-end delivery of digital/tech products or services within government or private sector
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute for Global Change (TBI) aims to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies in an interconnected world. We do this through our Policy Futures ideas and our Government Advisory Practice. What we believe in as an organisation:
- Open and Progressive – you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic – you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers – you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you're successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.