Policy Lead, Digital Government Unit
Focus of the Role
The technological revolution is the central issue for modern, progressive policymakers. Properly managed it can help build a better and more equal society for everyone. But achieving this vision requires a determined effort to understand the new reality, in order to resolve the new challenges arising from the internet era and accelerate the opportunities it presents.
Our Technology and Public Policy programme exists to help policymakers master the implications of the technology revolution and deliver progressive policy and strategy for the 21st century. This short deck explains more about the overall programme and our team culture.
Technology has revolutionised many areas of our lives; but governments and public services have lagged behind. Properly managed, tech presents the opportunity to provide radically better and more efficient public services to improve people’s lives; and ultimately, renew peoples’ trust and confidence in democracy. To do this we need to reconfigure the role of the state, imagine more responsive and accountable modes of government, and develop new models for designing and delivering its core functions, like protecting communities, and making sure people can reach and fulfil their potential.
The post holder will play a central role in our work to develop politically actionable policy and strategy, and to use this to influence the global policy debate. They will report to the Head of the Digital Government Unit and work closely with other members of the Unit and the wider policy community at the Institute.
The key objectives for the role are:
- Establish distinctive, evidence-based policy positions on the use of technology to transform government administration, public service delivery and democratic engagement
- Deliver a range of policy products that shape the policy debate around the world
- Promote our policy work with clear, effective and innovative communication
- Convene key players in tech and government to help drive real-world change
The post holder will:
- Be responsible for scoping and structuring programmes of work
- Be responsible for developing and delivering a range of policy products
- Build productive relationships with their stakeholders in tech and policy
- Speak about their work at public events and in the media
- Line manage senior policy analysts and / or policy analysts if required
The following criteria must be met:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or equivalent practical experience
- 6+ years’ experience in public policy, consulting or relevant profession
- Proven ability to structure and solve complex policy problems
- A clear and confident communicator, both written and spoken
The following is also desirable:
- Experience designing /delivering first-class user-centred digital services
- Experience in public services strategy or delivery (particularly education, law and order, welfare)
- A track record of leading high-impact policy project
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. It exists to equip political leaders and governments with the tools to create open, inclusive and prosperous societies in a globalised world.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
What we believe in as an organisation:
- Open and Progressive – you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic – you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers – you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you're successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.