Head of Health- ICS Programmes
Focus of the Role
Following the onset of the coronavirus crisis, the public health agenda has never been more important. In Africa, The Tony Blair Institute is supporting key regional organisations in strengthening their institutional capacity, improving their ability to engage effectively with the leadership of member states and in identifying innovative technology solutions to addressing public health challenges.
This will be the first role of its kind at the Institute and will drive forward a programme to support health outcomes across 54 countries across the continent. The role will require significant travel.
The duties of this post-holder are to:
- Provide strategic advice to the senior leadership of the Africa CDC, West Africa Health Organisation and national governments as required
- Ensure delivery of Institutional Capacity Strengthening programmes across key institutions on the continent and enable high level stakeholder engagement including at Head of State level
- Provide overall leadership for the delivery of the programmes across the continent
- Enable the development of insights and thought leadership from this programme
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Delivering through your team:
- Performance manage staff effectively, including building a culture of feedback and nurturing the next generation of TBI leaders;
- Put in place a planning and evaluation cycle in order to regularly assess whether the strategy is ‘working’, and adapt rapidly in response to new challenges and opportunities;
- Facilitating collaboration across programme teams to reach in-country stakeholders;
- Be the interface between their team and the rest of the organisation by representing their team’s views, and communicating issues and priorities from the rest of the organisation to the team.
Understand and engage with principal stakeholders:
- Build relationships at leadership level (institutional and country level) and other senior stakeholders to understand the country and partner institution priorities, build TBI’s credibility, and spot and develop opportunities;
- Deploy resources outside of the team - wider TBI colleagues, including Mr. Blair’s office and strategic partnerships within TBI’s network etc - to support partner institutions and governments where appropriate;
- Colloborate with internal and external stakeholders to develop insights and thought leadership outputs based on the work delivered through this programme.
Evolve the strategic direction of the project and, together with executive management, lead the annual project strategy setting, quarterly performance reviews and measurement of impact:
- Evolve the strategic direction for the programmes based on TBI’s mission and approach within the institution and country contexts;
- Using the organizational Theory of Change and impact tools ensure the project has a clear measurement framework that it regularly collects data for monitoring success.
We are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, drive, resilience, a can-do attitude and ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment. The Tony Blair Institute for Global Change aims to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies in an interconnected world. We do this through developing policy and advising governments.
We are looking for an experienced leader who can display the following:
- A university degree, relevant degree at Master’s level may be an added advantage
- At least 10 years’ experience in roles that require strong management skills, political savvy, strong relationship management, business acumen, pro-activeness, going the extra mile and strong teamwork
- Experience designing strategies for and leading multi-country programmes will be advantagrous
- Experience engaging high level stakeholders including operating at head of state level, will be advantageous
- Knowledge and experience of living and working in Africa will be advantageous including the political and government systems of the region
- Experience in the health sector will be an added advantage
- Self-starter, motivated and proactive with solutions
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Delivering insights and thought leadership products
- Excellent knowledge and application of Microsoft Office products Word, Excel and PPT and other relevant software and tools
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. It exists to equip political leaders and governments with the tools to create open, inclusive and prosperous societies in a globalised world.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
What we believe in as an organisation:
- Open and Progressive – you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic – you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers – you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you're successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.