Director of Global Operations and Security
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a purpose-driven, not-for-profit organisation, with a mission to equip leaders to build open, prosperous and inclusive societies. We believe that politics done well has the power to transform lives. When governments work well, they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We are optimists, and we work relentlessly to support leaders and governments with the challenges they face: giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
· Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
· Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
· Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
· Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
· Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
· Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
All of our work is supported by our Institute Resources team, compromising our Legal and Institute Services, Finance, People, IT and Security and Operations teams. The Director of Global Operations and Security is an exciting new leadership role for the Institute Resources team, requiring a dynamic and organised leader to support the strengthening of our operational systems to enable rapid growth in TBI’s existing programmes, and a further c.13-15 countries in the next two years.
- Develop, lead and manage efficient operational frameworks to enable rapid expansion: we envisage growing our country operations from c. 18 to 30 over the next 1-2 years, thereby doubling the number of our staff in Africa and expanding into Asia
- Design, implement and embed a Global Security Framework, building on existing SOPs and ensuring clear guidance and accountability
- Design, develop and implement risk management initiatives to create and maintain a robust risk management culture and foster risk oriented thinking
- Set an maintain consistent standards, clear frameworks and high quality execution of operational policies, across multiple geographies and business units
- Apply clear, consistent and effective operational systems to allow for scaling up across multiple geographies whilst ensuring legal compliance across all local jurisdictions
- Refine and implement a programme lifecycle approach, ensuring that our expansion is adequately planned, resourced, managed and effectively achieved
- Provide timely and accurate reporting to the CEO and Executive Committee on key risks and operational factors to enable decision-making and in particular to facilitate rapid growth.
- Improve our safety, security and resilience learning programme to deliver high-impact, interactive and globally accessible training to all our staff, in a cost effective and engaging way
- Lead, manage and develop the existing Operation and Security team (3 people, plus XX local roles), and where necessary recruit and mentor an expanded team across a regional network.
- Ensure that our crisis management procedure and teams remain relevant, capable and tested. This role should be prepared to act as Crisis Lead.
- Manage and implement a global security budget, including training and consulting advice.
This is a new role designed to enable TBI to grow its operations rapidly over the next two years. We are looking for a confident, dynamic leader with experience of rapid growth whilst maintaining high standards.
The Director Global Operations and Security will be responsible for building and leading a regional team to ensure the operational effectiveness and safety and security of our staff, assets, locations, programmes and reputation. The position provides advice and support to the most senior levels of the Institute.
This is a role in a fast paced team, working across complex divisions that are highly scrutinised. Therefore the successful candidate for the role should be able to display the majority of the following:
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in delivering people and operations in complex and multinational environments e.g. in consulting, government or the NGO sector
- Extensive experience of risk management and maintaining an appropriate balance of risk in an entrepreneurial environment Experience of scaling up or rapid expansion
- Experience of working in developing and fragiles countries
- Proven leadership, management, mentoring and training skills.
- Ability to overcome resistance to initiatives and drive culture change
- Skilled communication and influencing experience, from executive office level through to technical level, is adept at speaking to senior leadership, knows how to navigate ambiguous environments and is comfortable at managing up and beyond hierarchy
- Experience in developing and emerging economies and is sensitive to a diverse range of cultural and regional norms, and fosters a positive spirit of collaboration
- Professional French language fluency is desirable
About The Institute
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you're successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.