Investment Promotion Advisor
Focus of the Role
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We believe that politics done well has the power to transform lives. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world
As an organisation the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers: you’ll be focused on results
A fragile but important country for Sub-Saharan Africa, the DRC is geographically vast, boasts a large and rapidly growing population, and is among the world’s poorest, having suffered from conflict and fragility over the past forty years. Governance issues, along with recent security and health crises, continue to impede its development, despite being rich in natural resources. Following its first peaceful democratic transition in January 2019, the country is embarking on an ambitious program of economic diversification and reforms, which will require a vibrant private sector in order to achieve inclusive sustainable growth.
TBI’s partnership with the Government of the DRC encompasses advisory work currently focusing on business climate, investment promotion, energy sector development and digital transformation. It will further support the Government’s efforts to promote and facilitate investment.
We are looking to recruit an exceptional individual with experience in providing strategic advice and delivery support.
This role is for a fixed term of twelve months.
The post-holder will provide high-quality implementable advice to relevant counterparts in the Presidency and support coordination with ministries and agencies responsible for the implementation of priority investment projects.
This is the first time TBI will operate in the DRC so the post-holder will be part of the inaugural team and therefore also responsible for building TBI’s reputation and credentials in the country.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Support relevant counterparts in their work with key stakeholders, identifying and facilitating strategic investment opportunities in priority sectors
- Help in sourcing, evaluating and developing bankable investment projects, including sector analysis, financial structuring, investor targeting, and resource mobilisation strategies
- Develop and maintain trust-based relationships with government and private sector actors as well as development partners, including targeted communication activities
- Ensure effective management processes and systems are in place, including data collection, analysis and reporting in order to deliver projects timely and accurately
- Serve as a thought partner and expert on matters of investment for senior officials and TBI
The successful candidate will thrive in an environment where the importance of personal initiative coupled with teamwork is critical. Above all they will build effective relationships, win trust, and help shape and influence change in government. With a good knowledge of investment promotion and facilitation, the postholder will have a grounding in strategy consulting, project finance and public policy.
Desired qualifications and competencies include:
- 7-10 years of work experience in the public, private or non-governmental sectors, including investment, finance, commercial law, business management, and consulting
- Extensive conceptual and methodological skills and in applying qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Experience in the development and implementation of project management and/or matrix frameworks
- Experience in institutional development and organisational change management, including process and system design
- Excellent in building and managing effective relationships, including the ability to navigate a complex political environment. Experience working in Africa is desirable
- Ability in influencing, coaching and delivering change through others
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, strategic planning and decision-making capabilities
- A creative and entrepreneurial approach to overcoming barriers and making change happen, and the ability to cope in an emotionally demanding environment
- Strong team player with outstanding team management skills
- Self-starter, motivated and proactive with solutions
- Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice
- Ability to reside in Kinshasa for at least one year
- Fluency in French and English is required