The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a purpose-driven, not-for-profit organisation, with a mission to equip leaders to build open, prosperous and inclusive societies. We believe that politics done well has the power to transform lives. When governments work well, they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We are optimists, and we work relentlessly to support leaders and governments with the challenges they face: giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
Working in our Creative Studio Hub as part of our web team, you’ll be building and supporting a range of digital products to enhance the work of the Institute.
The External Relations team is an integral part of the Institute encompassing Fundraising, Partnership & Events, Comms, Media & Publishing, and our Creative Studio Hub which incorporates Design, Web and Social Teams.
We’re building a series of custom applications, visualisations and pipelines to streamline our work, create more engaging user experiences and support our work across both our Policy Futures and Government Advisory practices.
TBI is scoping for a Senior Developer to support our web team on a short term (2-3 months) independent consultancy contract. You’ll provide digital development services, which may include, but not be limited to:
- Building a data dashboard integrating with Google Analytics, Twitter API, Azure AD
- Create custom data visualisations for individual reports/content
- Uploading content to the website and improving the content upload pipeline
- Build/support additional custom applications
- Python, including data processing pipelines and Django
- SQL, particularly Postgres
- Experience with Highcharts and d3.js
- Experience with Node, React, bootstrap and webpack
- Experience working with Google Tag Manager
- Experience working with Drupal 8
- Experience of full development cycle and taking product to production environment
- Experience with Azure AD
- Experience with MapboxGL
- Experience building using progressive enhancement
- Able to find creative solutions and work with existing platforms
- Experience to deliver application security, availability, resilience to meet (high) SLA standards
- Understanding of web accessibility standards and ability to deliver to them
About The Institute
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.