Lead Advisor and Programme Lead West African Health Organisation (WAHO)
Focus of the Role
TBI is supporting the West Africa Health Organisation (WAHO) to strengthen its institutional capacity to respond more effectively to routine public health issues and pandemics.
This exciting and impactful work will be focused on improving the capacity of WAHO and its staff to deliver on their mandates and duties. Following the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, the public health agenda has never been more important.
The Lead Advisor and Programme Lead (WAHO) will be a key role in our Programme, who will provide leadership, technical and strategic advice to the senior leadership of WAHO, and will particularly work closely with the Director General of WAHO. The postholder will liaise with internal and external stakeholders to support WAHO’s engagement with key stakeholders including those at Head of State level across the region.
This is a two year fixed term role, which will be based in Ouagadougou but the postholder will also be required to regularly travel to Abuja, and possibly other locations, including Addis. For candidates based outside of Burkina Faso, TBI will provide a generous relocation package in support.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Planning, development and delivery
- Lead the strategic planning and day-to-day execution of the Programme
- Lead our work with counterparts in the development of the roadmaps (strategic vision and plan) for WAHO
- Develop relevant models/frameworks to support the delivery of the Programme
- Develop an ICS base framework for WAHO
- Develop case studies of global & local Institutional Capacity Strengthening (ICS) frameworks and lead delivery of needs assessments and lessons learned from previous strategy rounds
- Support the the development of systems and structutres to embed a delivery culture within WAHO
- Develop case study of global and local Institutional Capacity Strengthening (ICS) frameworks
- Develop and manage programme parameters including budgets, workplan, evaluation and results/KPIs
- Explore the potential for innovative solutions including the use of technology in driving forward the public health agenda in the sub-region
- Quality assure and assess Programme processes and documentation
- Identify project risks and work with relevant colleagues across the Institute and externally to mitigate these
- Lead the evaluation of strategies, frameworks and decisions to assess the Progamme’s progress and effectiveness
- Accountability of Programme budget and for monitoring general project goals and outcomes
Collaboration and engagement with stakeholders
- Lead on the planning and facilitation of the Programme related meetings with key stakeholders
- Engage with key internal and external stakeholders to implement agreed strategies and interventions
- Collaborate closely and regularly with relevant stakeholders to align on key decisions, iterate on solutions and find alternatives as required
- Support member state engagement through the provision of advice, research and analysis including on issues such as public communications
- Lead the Programme team on workplan development, tracking project targets and measuring success
- Lead the Programme team and directly manage partner engagement
We are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, drive, resilience, a can-do attitude and ability to consistently achieve results.
This is a role in a fast paced team, working within complex policy areas that are highly scrutinised. Therefore the successful candidate for the role should be able to display the majority of the following:
- At least 10 years’ experience in a public health institution, government advisory, public policy or management consulting
- Strong political savvy, relationship management, business acumen, and pro-activeness
- Outstanding leadership and management skills and the proven ability to build and inspire teams to achieve exceptional objectives
- Experience and understanding of how governments, businesses and international development organisations operate and how to succeed in them
- Excellent communication and influencing skills with the ability to engage from executive office level through to technical level. The ability to advise senior leadership, know how to navigate ambiguous environments and comfortable at managing up and beyond hierarchy
- An ability to operate and succeed in a highly political environment
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills and management skills, including sound knowledge of strategic planning and programme management tools
- Ability to work independently, think strategically and translate strategies into concrete and implementable plans
- Knowledge and experience of living and working in West Africa/the Sahel Region will be advantageous including the political and government systems of the region
- Experience in the health sector will be an added advantage
- Excellent knowledge and application of Microsoft Office products Word, Excel and PPT and other relevant software and tools
- A university degree, relevant degree at Master’s level may be an added advantage
- Fluency in English and French required
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.