Head of Health-Tech
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
The Head of Health-Tech is a key role in within our newly launched tech for development initiative, which has been enabled by a dynamic external partner, across existing and new operations in our Government Advisory and Tech & Public Policy divisions. This landmark initiative will be delivered in 30 countries in Africa, Eastern Europe, and Asia and aims to transform developing and emerging nations through the application of sustainable scaled technology and innovations across public services, food systems and agriculture, healthcare and climate.
The postholder will be part of a central team of compromised of five experts across Ag-Tech, Green Energy, Digital ID, Health-Tech, E-Gov and together, will be our authoritative, global voice as we work in close partnership with leaders, governments and industry to accelerate technology and innovation for the benefit of all.
The Head of Health-Tech will provide sector leadership to, and work closely with, in-country Health-Tech experts to form a practice area that supports project design, quality control, execution support and thought leadership under the tech for development umbrella. The postholder will also engage with our Country Heads and teams to develop, design, and deliver work in the Health-Tech sector to support governments and political leaders who want to harness technology to achieve ambitious leaps forward for their citizens and the world. Engaging with our Tech & Public Policy division, in addition, provides an opportunity to work from policy to implementation
This is a senior role within TBI and will be held by an exceptional candidate with deep and extensive experience and relationships across the Health-Tech sector.
Key responsibilities will include:
Lead strategy and program development in the sector
- Design, maintain and continually improve the strategy, plans, proof points and KPIs for the acceleration of technology and innovation in the Health-Tech sector within the countries we work, and which have prioritised Health-Tech as a platform for tech-enabled transformation
- Work closely with Country Heads and Heads of Tech for Development to identify Health-Tech opportunities in countries and where required, support Country Heads and teams to help shape recommendations to, and engagement with, Heads of State, Ministers, or other senior stakeholders, as required
- Work closely with Country Heads and Heads of Tech for Development in our country teams to act as a technical expert and thought partner to generate innovative solutions to client problems and frame them in a compelling way, including as part of project design templates
- Identify and utilise knowledge of upcoming trends and opportunities within the Health-Tech sector for the benefit of our work in existing and new countries
- Work collaboratively with other Head of Sector colleagues to create a cohesive central team to capture cross sectoral learnings and a cohesive tech for development program
External engagement and partnership management
- Provide senior-level representation, including presentations, for TBI at external fora and events
- Develop and enhance our network and relationships with leading innovators and implementation partners in the Health-Tech space
- Engage with key donors, relevant external stakeholders such as other not-for-profit organisations, media, suppliers and agencies as required
Support programmatic delivery and excellence
- Engage with our Executive Chairman, ExCo, Global Director for Tech for Development, and others to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage the implementation of Health-Tech specific initiatives initiative across the organisation
- Work closely with our Tech for Development Evidence and Impact Advisor and our Evidence and Impact team to generate thought leadership and establish TBI as a leading actor in the Health-Tech sector
- Working with the Global Director of Tech for Development, ensure the global portfolio of Health-Tech initiatives form a cohesive program which contribute to the Global Tech for Development OKRs/KPIs
- Support country and regional teams to hire, manage and develop tech for development teams in Health-Tech and tech for development, critically providing quality control of new hires and mentoring. The post holder and his/her team will be expected to play a key role in the broader community at TBI and will be expected to build strong working relationships
- Shape and embody a positive culture that drives innovation and delivery
The postholder will be an experienced candidate:
- With a minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience
- Who is considered an expert and thought leader in the Health-Tech sector
- With demonstrable experience in technology enterprises or programmes
- Who is strategic, entrepreneurial, can challenge the status-quo and develop plans for successful delivery of challenging objectives
- With leadership experience in consulting or advisory functions
- With demonstrable expertise public policy or government relations
- With outstanding management skills and the proven ability to build and inspire teams to achieve exceptional objectives
- Who has a track record of cultivating and maintaining strategic alliances and partnerships across public, social, and private sector organisations
- Who is a skilled communicator and influencer, from executive office level through to technical level, is adept at speaking to senior leadership, knows how to navigate ambiguous environments and is comfortable at managing up and beyond hierarchy
- Who has worked or consulted in developing and emerging economies and is sensitive to a diverse range of cultural and regional norms, and fosters a positive spirit of collaboration
- Who commits to business objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met
- The following is also desirable:
- Experience in the end-to-end delivery of digital/tech products or services within government or private sector
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.