The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
The Project for Agriculture Coordination and Execution (PACE) in the Office of the Vice-President has been set up with responsibility for the coordination of the implementation of two flagship programmes: the National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP) and the Green Imperative (GI) - a partnership with Brazil to improve access to mechanization and technology in Nigerian agriculture. PACE also supports the implementation of the COVID-19 agriculture response (Agric for Food and Jobs AFJP).
The Agro-Processing Lead will be assigned to work with the Office of the Vice President to help to establish enterprises for agro-processing and provide technical and business development services to service centre operators and cooperatives to ensure they are functional, sustainable, and able to meet food safety and regulatory standards. He/she will work closely with the Mechanisation Lead and the Good Agronomic Practices Lead and will report to the Mechanisation Lead.
The role will require travel across Nigeria, and potentially to a few international locations.
- Develop recommendations for how to increase investment in agro-processing in the targeted value chains and states based on knowledge of industry and market needs, present and future to support crop production
- Promote agro-processing investment by the private sector in the targeted value chains and states, including post-harvest handling, aggregation, storage and certification
- Develop guides / templates for service centre operators on packaging and presentation of products based on industry knowledge
- Support the smooth and effective rolling out of the programme to secure private investors in the service centre operators and assembly plants under the Green Imperative
- Work with industry to understand how post-harvest products can be converted to value.
- Ensure a strong market link between agro-processors and input providers (farmers)
- Ensure a supportive business development eco-system for service centres to perform market-oriented processing for value addition of target commodities
- Assist service centre operators, including farmers’ organisations, in identifying and applying appropriate value addition and processing technologies
- Ensure a supportive eco-system of support for strengthening of community-based groups, associations, cooperatives, and enterprises for processing
- At least 8 years’ professional experience in agribusiness market systems, agro processing and supply chain management, food safety, preservation and storage, agriculture, and/or fortification including deep private sector experience, including in a manufacturing setting, preferred
- Undergraduate degree in in Business, Management, Agriculture, Food Sciences, Nutrition, Food Engineering, or Food technology, Agricultural Economics, or related disciplines
- Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Agricultural mechanisation, Business, Management, Finance or related disciplines
- Deep understanding of the agro-processing sector, with knowledge of relevant topics, such as: food production and processing, Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), worker safety, finance for growing businesses, and food systems value chain development
- Firm knowledge and experience of Quality management systems certification such as ISO
- Experience setting up agro processing businesses
- Proven track record in providing technical and/or business solutions to agro-processors, with experience implementing or advising on smallholder sourcing models
- Excellent understanding of value chain analysis, development and Good Agricultural Practices
- Strong project management, construction coordination and analytical skills preferred
- Proven track record in planning, implementing, and promoting farm mechanisation projects, plans or programs
- Strong team leader with proven field operations management experience
- Strong administrative and organization skills, commitment, attention to detail and strong forward planning skills
- Hands on approach to work, with the ability to deliver on deadlines in a fast-paced and fast-changing environment, with minimal or no supervision
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.