The job has expired.
TBI has been supporting the President’s Office in The Gambia since 2017. This followed the unprecedented removal of former president Yaya Jammeh through democratic means after 22 years in power.
The administration of President Barrow has been looking to strengthen the capacity of the government to implement his vision for development, and to rebuild institutions weakened over a number of years.
TBI have been a key partner to the Presidency helping to strengthen its delivery and implementation mechanisms, primarily through the establishment of the Department of Strategic Policy and Delivery (DSPD) but also supporting reforms in other areas such as private office, communications, cabinet, and more recently support to the Vice President in her role as chair of the COVID-19 ministerial taskforce.
In addition to strengthening delivery in the Presidency, the project seeks to strengthen the connections with other key ministries and agencies, both in the centre (the Vice President’s Office and the Ministry of Finance Economic Affairs) as well as key sector Ministries, such as the Ministry of Energy, the Ministry of Agriculture, the Ministry of Trade, the Gambia Investment and Export Promotion Agency (GIEPA) and others.
There will be elections in The Gambia in December 2021, and TBI are looking forward to continuing to support the incoming administration with implementing an ambitious development agenda.
We are recruiting a Delivery Advisor for this role. This is an important role in the team and will work closely with the Country Head and key counterparts at the Office of the President.
This is a fixed term role for two years.
The Delivery Advisor will work alongside key counterparts from the Government of The Gambia and other stakeholders to implement priority initiatives. The Adviser will also be expected to support the wider work of TBI Gambia, including targeted interventions into key departments to support delivery of the National Development Plan, as required. Specific duties include:
- Work with senior leadership at the Office of the President, including the Department of Strategic Policy and Delivery (DSPD) as TBIs lead delivery advisor, applying TBI’s delivery framework as a mechanism to drive delivery
- Cross government delivery coordination and support
- Provide analysis and insights on key priority sectors as required to unlock delivery challenges in implementing the government’s agenda
- Support senior government counterparts in mapping, engaging and managing relevant key stakeholders, including foreign and domestic investors, development partners and various government institutions
- Undertake institutional and capacity assessments with a view to support government counterparts to put in place effective and sustainable structures, systems and skills that will underpin the implementation of national priority projects
- Support deployment of technology solutions for delivery and productivity in the public sector where possible
- Support the Country Head and other team members on various strategic and management issues, including contributing to skills development and of local counterparts in order to create an island of effectiveness at the centre of government
- Contribute to the wider Centre of Government and Delivery (COGD) Practice, sharing expertise and learning from other TBI projects, contributing to thought leadership and external events etc.
- Other tasks as may be agreed with the Country Head
We are looking for an experienced Advisor:
- With a minimum of 3-5 years relevant experience.
- Who is a strategic thinker who can challenge the status-quo and develop plans for successful delivery of challenging objectives
- Who can operate at the highest political levels to provide delivery and centre of government strengthening expertise to the Government of The Gambia
- Who can provide some prior experience in key sectors of importance to the Presidency such as agriculture, industry, investment or digitalisation
- With experience and knowledge of institutional development and organisational management, including process and system engineering and capacity development
- Experience working with senior counterparts is an asset
- With a master’s degree in public policy, international development, finance, economics, business or social sciences, or a bachelor degree with equivalent practical experience
- With strong analytical and management skills, including sound knowledge of data analysis, strategic planning, and project management tools
- With strong communications skills, including delivering high quality presentations as well as effective cross-cultural and interpersonal communication
- Fluent in English speaking and written skills. Knowledge of French is a bonus
- Experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential