Enterprise Architect Consultant
Focus of the Role
Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in Africa through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, health and climate? Do you have experience of consulting or working in the tech field and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country?
Our main objective in this strategically important role is to rapidly deploy a tech for development initiative in Kenya, which has been enabled by a dynamic external partner across existing and new operations in our Government Advisory and Tech & Public Policy divisions. This landmark initiative will be delivered in 30 countries, with activity in Kenya starting immediately.
We have an advisory team embedded in Kenya some of who are now working within the central government to deploy data technologies to support the country’s delivery of the government’s reform agenda and COVID-19 response.
An exciting opportunity exists to work with the relevant ministries to implement a suite of technology products to support the health response and more. Reporting to the Head of Tech, Kenya. The post holder will be responsible for the design of the client’s (Ministry of Agriculture) ICT environment and services. They will consolidate the business (functional requirements) with the technologies (technical requirements) to create an executable future technology Architecture blueprint for the Ministry. The postholder will also stay on top of the latest trends and technologies and keep an eye out for any software, services or hardware that might improve business processes.
This is a six month consultancy role, requiring an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise and deep subject matter knowledge.
Key outcomes of the role
- Establishing effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government
- Develop Enterprise Architecture and infrastructure plans in consideration of the fragmented platforms in order to design and plan for the migration to a unified Agriculture data platform
- Develop an Enterprise Mobility Strategy that will cover the following areas: Mobile Application Development, Mobile User Support and Service Management, Mobile Security and Governance
- Drive implementation of the BYOD policy and Enterprise Mobility Framework, policy and data management
- Expenditure in line with budget
- Strategy and Planning: (i) Design Enterprise Architecture plans; (ii) integrate plans with the overall client roll out the strategy from one tech domain to another; and (iii) integrate the blueprints with existing solution sets to create a harmonious data guided view of the clients place within the government framework
- Government Relations: Establish effective and trusted relationships with the Agriculture Transformation Office (ATO)
- Execution and Monitoring: Establish, review and maintain project goals, plans. Serve as the focal point for the Enterprise Architecture development. Report and engage with the Head for Tech, the Country Head Kenya, and the ATO to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage the initiative across the Ministry. Audit compliance within the Enterprise Architecture standards
- People: Work with the embedded AgTech Advisor and digital transformation team to realise the stated objectives in keeping with the Ministry’s vision
- External Relations (non-governmental): Engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations, Govt. Ministries and agencies
- One TBI: The post holder will formally report into the Head of Tech, Kenya and form part of the wider team and country programme
We are looking for an experienced candidate:
- Who is strategic and can challenge the status-quo and develop plans for successful delivery of challenging objectives
- With experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions
- With demonstrable experience and expertise in cloud computing, systems architecture blueprints, strategy development and enterprise solutions
- Who is a communicator and influencer, from board level through to technical level and is adept at managing up and beyond hierarchy
- Who has worked or consulted in developing and emerging economies and is sensitive to a diverse range of cultural and regional norms, and will foster a positive spirit of collaboration between our countries and our tech transformation offer
- With a bachelor’s or postgraduate degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- With certification in Enterprise Architecture (TOGAF)
- With a minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in IT design
- Experience with SQL, data sourcing, enterprise data management, modelling, business strategy, auditing and compliance would be advantageous, as would experience with public sector implementations
Candidates must have the right to work in Kenya.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.