Maritime Economy Advisor
Focus of the Role
The Maritime Economy Advisor will be embedded in the Ministry of Maritime Economy, Fisheries and Coastal Protection (MMEFCP), to support the development of Togo’s maritime economy, with a focus on developing a logistic corridor and optimized port, facilitating coastal protection projects, supporting coastal tourism projects, and working closely with the Minister and his teams.
He or She will be mainly responsible to provide high-quality implementable advice to the Minister and other relevant counterparts within the Ministry, and support coordination with other government agencies and/or department responsible for the implementation of priority blue economy projects
Key areas of responsibility will include :
- Support the Minister and his team for the implementation of logistic flagship projects in the maritime sector, including but not limited to supporting the development and effective implementation of multiservice platform, port digitalization, and coastal projects
- Identify emergency plans that need to be actioned to protect the coastal and accelerate WACA (West Africa Coastal Areas) project implementation
- Assist the Ministry in developing delivery systems and tools to ensure effective implementation of adequate projects
- Work alongside TBI colleagues, government counterparts and international partners to undertake key value chain analysis and implementation support including projects improving World Bank's Logistics Performance Index rank
- Assist the MMEFCP in its interactions with international logistic investors, helping in sourcing, evaluating and developing bankable projects, including financial structuring
- Identify, structure and facilitate public private partnerships including comprehensive risks assessment
- Help improving access to markets for Togolese fisheries produce with a focus on strengthening local businesses
- Support the Ministry’s efforts to implement an enabling blue economy business ecosystems and policy framework by setting up international best practices
- Support the TBI Country Head and other team members on various strategic initiatives, including contributing to skills development of local analysts and capacity-building programs.
We are looking for outstanding individuals with a proven track record of delivery in the public or private sectors. The successful candidate will thrive in an environment where the importance of personal initiative coupled with teamwork is critical. Above all s/he will build effective relationships, win trust, and help shape and influence change in government.
- Ideally 7-10 years of experience working in Civil engineering, Supply Chain, or Economy maritime work in emerging markets especially in Sub Saharan Africa and or similar contexts, including but not limited to issues related to international trade, supply chain, commercial fisheries, market linkages and value chain development, port development and coastal protection
- Experience facilitating and attracting companies to invest in logistic sector in emerging markets
- Extensive conceptual and methodological skills and in applying qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Experience in the development and implementation of project management and/or matrix frameworks
- Experience in institutional development and organisational change management, including process and system design
Competencies and skills
- Excellent in building and managing effective relationships, including the ability to navigate a complex political environment. Experience working in Africa is desirable
- Ability in influencing, coaching and delivering change through others
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, strategic planning and decision-making capabilities
- A creative and entrepreneurial approach to overcoming barriers and making change happen, and the ability to cope in an emotionally demanding environment
- Strong team player with outstanding team management skills
- Self-starter, motivated and proactive with solutions
- Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice
- Fluency in French and English is required.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Above all, we are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude. Experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.