Head of Tech for Development, Côte d’Ivoire
Focus of the Role
Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in Africa through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, health and climate? Do you have experience of consulting or working in the tech field and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country?
Our main objective in this strategically important role is to rapidly deploy a tech for development initiative in Côte d’Ivoire , which has been enabled by a dynamic external partner across existing and new operations in our Government Advisory and Tech & Public Policy divisions. This landmark initiative will be delivered in 30 countries, with activity in Côte d’Ivoire starting immediately.
We have an advisory team embedded in Côte d’Ivoire, some of whom are now working with governmental bodies to find solutions to support the country’s long term COVID-19 response as well as the roll-out of the Universal Health Coverage (UHC) – a priority project for the government.
An exciting opportunity exists to work with the relevant ministries to implement a suite of technology products to support the health response and more. The post holder will drive the Côte d’Ivoire tech for development programme, leading a tech team based in country. The post holder will also work closely with TBI’s Global Director Tech for Development, Deputy Global Director Tech for Development, Heads of Sector, other Heads of Tech across Africa and the wider T4D team to deliver our global ambition.
This is a senior role requiring an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise, deep networks with government and/or industry in country or other peer countries.
- Delivery of our Tech for Development country programme plan created and staffed with engaged and results oriented people
- Establishing effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors, securing mandate with at least one key counterpart as a regular contact
- Tangible results delivered in Tech for Development, such as deployment of solutions ranging from the current pandemic response and digital health offer, to proximate use cases such as digital ID, and supporting potential enabling policy foundations.
- Delivery of our tech for development country programme plan created/advanced and staffed with engaged and results-oriented people
- Increase the availability and interoperability of quality health data and information systems
- Help forge an enabling environment for health information systems, with increased demand and use of health data
- Thought leadership recognised in country/regionally/globally and contribution to our tech for development global offer and playbook
- Expenditure in line with budget
- Strategy and Planning: design, maintain and continually improve: (i) the country strategy for tech for development; and (ii) plans and tools to roll out the strategy from one tech domain to another, within one ministry or across government
- Government Relations: establish effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors. Secure mandates with at least one key counterpart as regular contact, in service of our mission to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and in service of our Tech for Development initiative
- Execution and Monitoring: establish, review and maintain project goals, plans, proof points and KPIs. Serve as the focal point for tech for development in country, project and output quality control and design tools to support execution. Report and engage with Country Head Côte d’Ivoire , and the Global Director Tech for Development and his/her team to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage the initiative across TBI. Ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are in place
- People: Recruit, manage and develop a country team to report to post holder working with the Country Head and T4D Leadership in its vision and craft. Shape and embody a culture that drives innovation and delivery. Provide quality control of new hires and ongoing development and mentoring. The post holder and his/her team will be expected to play a key role in the broader community at TBI and will be expected to build strong working relationships
- External Relations (non-governmental): Engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations, media, suppliers and agencies
- One TBI: The post holder will formally report to the Country Head Côte d’Ivoire and form part of the wider team and country programme. They will be matrixed on deliverables and work closely with the Deputy Global Director, Tech for Development and the wider T4D team. Other key relationships will be with the Executive Directors for External Relations, Government Advisory, Tech & Public Policy, and our Legal, HR and Finance support teams
We are looking for an experienced leader:
- With a minimum of 7 years’ experience in management consulting, government or government advisory, related to digital transformation and advisory programme leadership
- With experience in the development and operations of robust technology solutions in a public sector environment
- Experience strengthening health information systems and digital health approaches highly desired
- Experience working in West Africa particularly on digital and technology transformation projects for public good
- Familiarity with policy foundations and regulation needed to foster and enable technology transformation for public good
- Familiar with agile programme delivery and in guiding pilots and prototyping efforts and then scaling
- Who is strategic and can challenge the status-quo and develop plans for successful delivery of challenging objectives
- A bold thinker equipped to be a thought partner and peer to cutting edge technology companies as well as government leadership with an aim to thinking towards the future of cutting edge innovation
- Who commits to business objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met
- With outstanding management skills and the proven ability to build and inspire teams to achieve exceptional objectives and contribute directly to outcomes hands-on
- Who is a communicator and influencer, from board level through to technical level and is adept at managing up and beyond hierarchy
- Who has worked or consulted in developing and emerging economies and is sensitive to a diverse range of cultural and regional norms, and will foster a positive spirit of collaboration between our countries and our tech transformation offer
- With a bachelor’s or postgraduate degree or equivalent practical experience
- Who is fluent in English and French