Health Institution Building Associate
Focus of the Role
TBI's mission is to advise governments and leaders in the implementation of their priority projects. In this sense, a memorandum of understanding has been signed between the Government of Senegal and TBI in January 2020 in order to establish areas of collaboration and define objectives. TBI Senegal has ongoing operations in several sectors: Investment Promotion, Energy, E-Health and Tech for Development. With the global Covid-19 pandemic, President Macky Sall has identified the strengthening and modernization of the health system as a national priority. TBI is working with different actors in the health field, including the Ministry of Health and Social Action and the Institut Pasteur de Dakar (IPD) on institutional strengthening, digitalization, delivery and project management capabilities and business planning. The aim is to support Senegal’s ambition to development of a biotechnological, technological and industrial ecosystem in the health sector to dramatically improve health outcomes.
In this context TBI has facilitated the deployment of a Cloud based digital vaccine register by the Ministry of Health and is supporting IPD’s delivery capability in relation to productive projects.
To support this work and help programme implementation specifically related to our institution strengthening and delivery work, TBI is seeking a Health Institution Building Associate.
The candidate will have an outstanding profile and proven capability of working in a fast paced environment with high level and diversified stakeholders, abilities to coordinate organize and implement an ambitious programme and a familiarity with presentation and planning tools.
The Associate will support the TBI country team and in particular the Health Institution Building Advisor with project management tasks to increase the capability of counterpart institutions in the fulfilment of their strategic and project plans.
Our current work involves supporting project delivery (establishment of a Delivery Unit) including team coordination, project management, financial planning and presenting/reporting.
The principle tasks will include:
Supporting Organisation and planning
Supporting the AdvisorAdvisor (and other interlocutors in TBI’s counterpart institutions including senior management and pillar delivery leads) in the organisation and coordination of their work (e.g. team coordination, agenda management and preparation, intra-team communication and planning as well as administrative and logistics tasks including office set up). Support in planning: the development and tracking of a strategic plan and roadmap.
Financial analysis and reporting
Helping the Advisor fulfil financial reporting requirements to donor partners by setting up systems and producing reports.
Communications and reporting
Supporting the Advisor and other interlocutors in producing high quality reports, power point presentations and slides in Franech and English.
IT, analysis and other tasks
Supporting the Advisor put in place performance management tools (like ERP) to track project performance as well as other IT applications needed to build and operate a delivery unit this may include data analytics applications.
- At least 4 years professional experience, health, financial or tech experience would be an advantage
- With a bachelor degree or equivalent practical experience with a qualification or experience in project management and/or finance
- Some experience with an organisation involved in international work would be an advantage
- Extremely well organised and hard working; curious and able to take initiative
- Fluency in French and English required
- Financial analysis and reporting skills
- Mastery of IT tools (MS Office); In particular ability to put together high-quality PowerPoint decks showing precision, understanding of the subject and creativity
- Ability and confidence to deal with diverse interlocuters (TBI colleagues in Africa and London, experts and consultants, government counterparts)
- Strong willingness to learn, great intellectual curiosity and outstanding team spirit
- The ability to thrive in a fast "entrepreneurial" type of environment, with a focus on performance, results and accountability
- A prior para-academic activity is strongly desired, ie belonging to a youth association, a community service, etc.
- In addition, we place a high value on appropriate personal qualities such as ingenuity, tenacity, independence, trust and integrity
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It works with a variety of partners and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.