The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Accra
Advisor - Private Sector Development & Investment
Job Reference tbigc/TP/9595/555
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
The President and Government of Ghana have a vision of a ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ through job creation and value addition of its natural resources. This vision was captured in the post-pandemic economic recovery plan Ghana Covid-19 Alleviation and Revitalisation of Enterprises Support (CARES) that runs to 2024 and aims to transform the economy.
The Ghana CARES Programme’s key flagships include to support commercial farming, develop the digital economy and build Ghana’s manufacturing sector. All aim to provide incomes and jobs to Ghanaians, including the 300,000 youths entering the job market every year, and create value addition in Ghana through industrialisation.
In support of this agenda, TBI works with government in the strategic sectors of agro-processing, textile and garment and new technologies. We aim to support government package bankable projects in those sectors to attract private investments that will create quality jobs, livelihoods and contribute effectively to Ghana’s growth. To contribute to our economic and investment team, TBI is seeking a Private Sector Development / Investment Advisor. The role will be based either in the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MOTI) or in the Ministry of Finance.
The role will focus on providing upstream financing expertise and practical know-how to our team working on the development of the agro-processing, textile and garment, and digital sectors. The role will involve supporting government and TBI sector leads to develop the concepts and business case for investment projects in sectors of focus, and then promote these projects to investors.
The Advisor will be part of a growing TBI team embedded in various agencies of the government of Ghana, working on textile and garment, agriculture, digitalisation and health.
This is an initial 2 years fixed term employment.
Upstream project development (30%)
- With the TBI sector leads, identify and support the development of bankable opportunities that help promote Ghana to investors, looking at TBI sectors of focus: agro-processing, textile and garment, digitalisation.
- Produce detailed, structured investment packages for these opportunities working with TBI sector leads and government teams.
- Assess critical gaps in Ghana’s offering to the private sector and support government to identify specific reforms, investments and actions needed to fill those gaps.
Investment promotion and facilitation (40%)
- Support sector leads to reach out to potential strategic investors and partners and to ensure a strong feedback loop between the private sector and government officials.
- Reach out and facilitate introductions to financial investors, linking those conversations to those happening between government and strategic investors and partners.
- Input into investment negotiations to support government in ensuring the policies and interests of Ghana are upheld.
- Facilitate coordination and cross-cutting activities across several government departments involved in the process of investment.
- Support senior government counterparts in mapping, engaging and tracking key stakeholders in the priority sectors, including domestic and foreign investors, development partners and various government institutions.
Additional duties (10%)
- Bespoke support and advice as relevant to government on policies and incentives to develop new industries and attract FDI.
- Coordinate closely with other TBI advisors and contribute to TBI Ghana’s objectives.
- Support the Country Head, Deputy Country Head and other team members with team strategy, quarterly and annual reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
We are looking for an outstanding individual with a proven track record on investment, interested in both developing projects upstream and promoting them, and with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude.
- Significant experience working in private sector development, financial institutions, economic development, industrialisation, investment promotion or related areas in emerging markets especially in Africa and / or similar contexts. This would include but not limited to financing projects related to agriculture, agro-processing, textile, garment, heavy and light manufacturing, automotives, new technologies, digital economy.
- Experience facilitating or working with companies to set up factories in emerging markets to manufacture for export and exposure to industrial parks and Special Economic Zones (SEZs) will be an asset. This would include having a strong network within our sectors of focus - retail, brand or manufacturing.
- Excellent in identifying and resolving project implementation bottleneck, follow through and delivering of results.
- An ability to work independently, be entrepreneurial, think strategically and translate strategies into delivery plans on the ground; with excellent analytical, organizational, communication and management skills.
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with government counterparts, with the industry and across a large organization, including with virtual teams.
- Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
- A master’s degree in finance, business administration, logistics, public policy, economics, engineering, or other relevant fields.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It works with a variety of partners and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.