Programme Manager, Tech for Development, South East Europe
Focus of the Role
Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in South East Europe through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, health and climate? Do you have experience of consulting or working in the tech field and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country? Do you thrive on driving the end to end delivery of transformative projects?
We are looking to hire an exceptional Programme Manager with experience and expertise across technology and government advisory. The Programme Manager will coordinate the implementation of a suite of technology, digitisation and innovation initiative with governments across South East Europe.
Focused on delivering TBI’s Tech for Development (T4D) programme, the post holder will join a fast-growing team and report to our in-country Head of Tech. This will require relocation of the post holder to a specified country in South East Europe. The role involves supporting the Head of Tech to plan, operationalise, track and measure the impact across the growing T4D portfolio, with an initial focus on the health sector and other government initiatives related to tech. The Progamme Manager will play a key role in engaging with TBI’s internal teams, such as the T4D Global Central Team leading on key reporting products, as well as supporting recruitment as required.
The team works closely with the wider TBI Advisory Team supporting various Governments on various sectors including Agriculture, Health and Financial sector development.
This is a key role requiring a candidate with relevant expertise in tech, proven experience in project management and the right skills, temperament and drive to deliver in a complex and sensitive government environment.
Key outcomes of the role
Successful delivery of the role will include:
- In country T4D portfolio planned against global strategic results framework, staffed with engaged and results oriented people, and effectively managed to deliver expected results with Ministries and key stakeholders;
- An operational workplan developed; tools in place and utilised to track and monitor status and impact across implementations;
- Effective and trusted relationships established with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors;
- Tangible results delivered for the Government of focus, including in areas of eHealth, Ag Tech, eGoverment, and innovation;
- Thought leadership recognised in country/regionally/globally and contribution to our tech for development global offer and playbook; and
- Expenditure in line with budget.
- Deliver on key internal reporting deadlines and providing updates to the Global T4D Team.
- Alignment with TBI various internal systems.
- Planning: Working closely with Head of Tech for Development, review and maintain project goals, plans, proof points and OKRs. Engage with T4D Programme Manager, Deputy Global Director, and her team to drive delivery, troubleshoot and manage roll-out. Where relevant, ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are followed
- Government Relations: Support the Head of Tech for Development to maintain effective and trusted relationships in government in line with the country project strategy and positioning, and in service of the overall TBI mission to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and our tech for development initiative
- People: Support the recruitment and management of Tech Team staff, as required. The post holder will be expected to develop strong working relationships
- External Relations (non-governmental): Support the Head of Tech for Development to engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, donor Partners other not for profit organisations, media, suppliers and agencies as directed. Additionally, the PM will also support communications (providing reporting and other comms materials), pitching and presenting, linking up with internal and external stakeholders.
- One TBI: The post holder will formally report into the in-country Head of Tech and will work closely with the Country Head, and the wider tech for development teams in London and other countries. The Programme Manager will play an important role in connecting the local Tech for Development programme to the wider resource in the Tony Blair Institute.
- Internal Reporting: The Programme Manager will support the Head of Tech on internal reporting, by leading on key reporting products for the T4D team, such as reporting Objectives and Key Results, providing internal updates on T4D workstreams and reporting against the T4D strategic framework.
We are looking for an experienced Programme Manager with the following:
- Experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in management consulting or government advisory
- Experience working in LMICs and emerging markets
- Proven ability and experience in achieving results through coordination of teams and individuals; some of whom may be working remotely and or in counterpart organisations;
- Some experience in public affairs or government relations
- An in-depth understanding of the tech policy and regulatory environment in practise
- Who commits to business objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met
- The ability to work under pressure, and to coordinate with teams and multi-disciplinary advisors
- Strong communication and project management skills
- Who can work flexibly and be adaptable, open to changing approaches in response to changing situations on the ground
- Proven understanding of the policy context, how to influence policy and the discretion and judgment needed to navigate a complex political environment
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Prior work with the Government is highly desirable
- Fluency in English is also a requirement, additional languages are beneficial
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers: you’ll be focused on results