Tech Policy Advisor (RISA)
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
Are you excited by the prospect of being involved in initiatives that leverage the application of technology and innovation for sustainable development? Do you have experience of consulting or working in technology policy advisory as part of a team driving systemic and transformative change in an emerging economy? Do you thrive on driving the end-to-end delivery of transformative projects by the public sector? If yes, we want to hear from you!
Scaling up support to governments in Africa, Eastern Europe and Asia, the Tony Blair Institute’s Tomorrow Partnership works with political leaders and governments to bring tech and digital solutions to their biggest challenges, because we believe tomorrow will belong to those who responsibly harness the power of technology for the good of all people, and to leave no one behind.
Through The Tomorrow Partnership, we broker strategic partnerships between governments and leading tech organisations and innovators to help foster environments that enable tech to deliver practical change in people’s lives.
As part of the Tomorrow Partnership programme in Rwanda we are looking for an experienced Tech Policy Advisor to join a fast-growing team working in the Rwanda Information Society Authority (RISA) to help deliver on Rwanda’s ambitions in this space.
Reporting to the TBI Senior Head of Tech in Rwanda and taking day-to-day guidance from the Chief Executive Officer RISA, this role will interface with senior RISA, Ministry and other implementing agency leadership to support RISA’s efforts in advisory, scoping, developing, implementing and monitoring interventions that delivers the full potential of the RISA and MINICT strategies towards a digital government.
TBI is looking for a senior and experienced individual with a background in technology, innovation strategy and/or policy to fill this position. The individual will provide strategic advice and policy insights to support the strengthening of the policy-making and strategic planning capacities of RISA. Working in collaboration with the broader Rwanda Tomorrow Partnership programme and staff embedded in other Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), the post-holder will work with senior staff across RISA and its network of Chief Digital Officers (CDOs) to research, design and implement policies, strategies and impactful programs, in close collaboration with other MDAs.
The successful post-holder will develop strong relationships with key private and public stakeholders, undertaking landscape and feasibility assessments, and support the development and implementation of TBI-supported interventions in government digital transformation and government capacity building in technology and the ICTs in Rwanda.
The role will also assist the Senior Head of Tech to contribute to the structuring and designing of TBI’s offering and partnerships in government digital transformation and capacity building for the public sector in technology and ICTS, and to engage with TBI’s teams in Africa to ensure a regionally coherent approach on TBI offers from the regional TBI team.
This role will also directly manage 3 key advisor roles supported by TBI for RISA:
- Government Digital Transformation Advisor
- Data and Cloud Infrastructure Advisor
- Capacity Building and Digital Literacy Advisor
The position is full-time, with a minimum duration of 12 months and based in Kigali, Rwanda and starts as soon as possible on the identification of a suitable candidate. Relocation assistance may be provided for the successful candidate if required.
- Provide advice and expertise to RISA in the development and implementation of Rwanda’s digital and data policy frameworks. Engage with senior stakeholders from across RISA and government to ensure development of world-leading policy frameworks, identifying challenges to existing policy regimes and helping to find solutions, and identifying areas for future development to position Rwanda’s government digitalisation programmes at the cutting edge of policy innovation and technology options for a digital government
- Work with the RISA CEO to research, propose and design policies, programs and strategies to facilitate the establishment of the necessary digital building blocks, and support efforts to capture the impact of RISA-led initiatives and programmes
- Support RISA leadership and senior staff in the preparation of position papers and briefing documents for participation in international forums (e.g., ITU, Broadband Commission, Smart Africa Alliance, Edison Alliance, World Economic Forum etc.); leverage wider TBI Policy resources, where appropriate to support this task
- Support RISA leadership and key staff members to gain the required knowledge, skills, values, expertise and exposure to effectively design and implement impactful policies and strategies
- Lead a team comprising of the Digital Government Transformation Advisor, the Data Centre and Cloud Infrastructure Advisor, and the Capacity Building and Digital Literacy Advisor based at RISA to deliver on their objectives
- Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology or other relevant areas, preferably with specialization/expertise in strategy development, technology, or economics essential; additional professional qualifications an asset
- Significant experience in providing strategic advice and development of public development policies and/or strategies; of which 2 years specifically in areas related to government digital transformation, networks and connectivity and capacity building of public servants in technology and ICTs for a digital government
- Strong understanding of the dynamics of tech, government digital transformation, and innovation demonstrated by experience in conducting studies and/or designing policies and strategies in these areas;
- Substantive overall understanding of digital development trends and ability to present related issues clearly both to a general and a specialist audience;
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Strong project and people management skills, with experience leading a team.
- Excellent business writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills (in English)
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Drive, motivation and ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to mentor, coach, and build capacity, across different capacities
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It works with a variety of partners and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.