Director of Marketing Government Advisory Practice
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
The overarching mission of the Tony Blair Institute is to ‘equip political leaders to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies in an interconnected world.’ Our government advisory practice is at the frontline of this, working directly with leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
After more than ten years of growth, we want to enhance this by establishing a marketing function for the Government Advisory Practice. The marketing objective is for the Institute to stand out amongst competitors in private sector government consulting firms, organisations that supply the international development sector with capacity building and government support and giving it the recognition and standing its impact merits.
The postholder will play a significant role in the development of the Government Advisory Practice, overseeing the strategic positioning of this global arm of the Institute, facing two distinct markets with relatively distinct competitors: 1) indirect market - international development donors and philanthropists; 2) direct market – emerging economies governments, as partners and clients. The postholder will develop and implement a marketing strategy that leads to growth. They will assemble a marketing team capable of delivering the collateral, reports, toolkits and events to aid this, whilst developing capability to ensure marketing is proactive and always-on. They will establish a distinct TBI Government Advisory Practice identity and communicate our capabilities and expertise.
The postholder will work closely with the Executive Directors for the Government Advisory Practice and will need to build strong working relationships with individual country heads and advisors and play a leadership role in the broader marketing and communications community at TBI. They will establish and maintain high standards for all our work, working to a tone of voice and visual style to ensure consistency and creative excellence across all outputs. The role will report into the Executive Director of External Affairs.
- Devising, developing and executing a marketing strategy for the Government Advisory Practice that delivers for both our markets, and understands that some outputs will be client confidential and some will be in the public domain
- Continually reviewing changes to the market, consumer trends and the activities of competitors, adjusting the marketing plan if necessary
- Building and maintaining a stand-out brand in the government advisory world that separates TBI from competitors
- Delivering marketing campaigns to inform decision-makers amongst prospective clients about who we are and the work we do
- Building a team to develop marketing collateral and execute various tactical activity
- The post holder and their team will engage with the broader marketing and communications community at TBI. They will be expected to build strong working relationships with: the Director of Creative Strategy & Delivery; Director of Engagement; Director of Communications (Policy); Director of Communications (Press); Head of Design.
- A pedigree in strategic marketing that generates growth, ideally gained in both a for-profit and not-for-profit environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills- the ability to present and communicate ideas clearly and persuasively at all levels to both internal and external audiences
- Knowledge of, passion and aptitude for marketing and positioning
- Proven ability to get things done both independently and in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Experience designing and applying effective marketing programs for a given target market
- Knowledge of the political and government environments that we operate in, and an interest in current affairs
- Have international experience and understand the diverse nature of our work and audiences
- Be keenly interested in the work of TBI and share in our mission and values
About The Institute
About the Institute
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change we are dedicated to making globalisation work for the many, not the few. We do this by helping countries, their people and their governments, address some of the most difficult challenges in the world today – beginning with those where we think we can break new ground, offering leaders new thinking and new approaches. Our staff – over 200 of them, based all over the world – are working on some of the most intractable problems around issues of co-existence, governance, the peace process in the Middle East and renewing the centre.