AI Policy Lead
Focus of the Role
We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic candidate to lead AI Policy at the Tony Blair Institute for a 12-month maternity cover contract.
The successful candidate will be based in one of our regional hubs in Kenya, Senegal, Ghana or London. If based in Kenya, Senegal or Ghana you will be required to travel to London every 3 months. Other international travel may also be required. Please note that you must have an existing right to work in the location which you are applying for.
Our Technology and Public Policy programme exists to help policymakers master the implications of the technology revolution and deliver progressive policy and strategy for the 21st century.
The post holder will play a central role in our work to develop politically actionable policy and strategy, and to use this to influence the global policy debate. They will report to the Director of the Internet Policy Unit and work closely with other members of the Unit and the wider policy community at the Institute.
- Establish distinctive, evidence-based policy positions on the role of AI, machine learning and advanced computing to accelerate prosperity and improve peoples’ lives around the world
- Deliver a range of policy products that shape the global policy debate, in particular focusing on Africa
- Promote our policy work with clear, effective and innovative communication
- Convene key players in policymaking and the tech sector to help drive real-world change
- Work directly with Institute colleagues who are directly advising governments in countries across Africa
The post holder will:
- Be responsible for scoping and structuring programmes of work
- Be responsible for developing and delivering a range of policy products
- Build productive relationships with their stakeholders in tech and policy
- Speak about their work at public events and in the media
- Line manage senior policy analysts and/ or policy analysts if required
The following criteria must be met:
- Significant experience in public policy, consulting or relevant profession
- Proven ability to structure and solve complex policy problems
- A clear and confident communicator, both written and spoken
- Experience working in a developing country on tech policy / projects
- A strong network in the tech sector or policy communities in Africa
- Experience of driving AI Policy or significant interest within the AI space
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or equivalent practical experience
- Practical experience using Machine Learning or data science to solve complex problems
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It works with a variety of partners and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.