Head of Tech, Indonesia
Focus of the Role
Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, health and climate? Do you have experience of consulting or working in the tech sector and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country?
The main objective in this strategically important role is to develop and deploy the Tony Blair Institute’s Tomorrow Partnership in Indonesia, which has been enabled by a dynamic external partner. Scaling up support to governments across Africa, Eastern Europe and South East Asia, the Tomorrow Partnership works with political leaders and governments to bring tech and digital solutions to their biggest challenges, because we believe tomorrow will belong to those who responsibly harness the power of technology for the good of all people, and to leave no one behind.
Through The Tomorrow Partnership, we broker strategic partnerships between governments and leading tech organisations and innovators to help foster environments that enable tech to deliver practical change in people’s lives. Building on initial work delivered to date around digital health, life sciences and e-government, we are recruiting a Head of Tech to lead the development of the broader programme in Indonesia, driving forward delivery, cementing relationships with government stakeholders and building partnerships with national and international tech sector actors.
This is an exciting opportunity to collaborate closely with government ministries to implement technological solutions to support Indonesia’s digital transformation agenda. Leading a team of tech advisors based in-country, the post holder will work closely with TBI’s Global Tech team and draw on expertise from across the Institute to support delivery of the Tomorrow Partnership’s offering.
As a senior role with substantial external representation components, TBI is seeking an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise in digital transformation and technology, deep networks with government and/or industry in Indonesia (or the region), and experience managing teams.
Key outcomes of the role
- Development and delivery of our Tomorrow Partnership country programme strategy created and staffed with engaged and results-oriented people
- Establishing effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Ministers and Special Advisors, securing mandate with at least one key counterpart as regular contact
- Tangible results delivered in the Tomorrow Partnership programme, including building on work delivered to date, and creating the foundations for a broader portfolio of activity.
- Thought leadership recognised in country/regionally/globally and contribution to our global offer and playbook
- Expenditure in line with budget
- Strategy and Planning: design, develop, and continually improve: (i) the Indonesia Tomorrow Partnership strategy and (ii) plans and tools to roll out the strategy from one tech domain to another, within one ministry or across government with an initial prioritization of health and e-government.
- Government Relations: establish effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors. Secure mandates with at least one key counterpart as regular contact, in service of our mission, to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and in service of our tech for development initiative
- Execution and Monitoring: establish, review and maintain project goals, plans, proof points and KPIs. Serve as the focal point for tech for development in country, project and output quality control and design tools to support execution. Report and engage with Country Head, and senior members of TBI’s global Tech Team drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage the initiative across TBI. Ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are in place
- People: recruit, manage and develop a country team to report to post holder. Shape and embody a culture that drives innovation and delivery. Provide quality control of new hires and ongoing development and mentoring. The post holder and their team are expected to play key roles in the broader community at TBI and will be expected to build strong working relationships
- External Relations (non-governmental): engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations, media, suppliers and agencies.
- One TBI: the post holder will formally report into the Country Head and form part of the wider team and country programme. They will be matrixed on deliverables and work with the TBI’s Global Tech Team. Other key relationships will be with the Executive Directors for External Relations, Government Advisory, Tech & Public Policy, and our Legal, HR and Finance support teams.
We are looking for an experienced leader:
- With a minimum of 10 years’ experience in management consulting, government or government advisory
- With demonstrable experience in technology enterprises or programmes
- With experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions
- With deep experience in health technology, digital infrastructure or digital public services, and general comfort working across all.
- Who is strategic and can challenge the status-quo and develop plans for successful delivery of challenging objectives
- Who commits to business objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met
- With outstanding management skills and the proven ability to build and inspire teams to achieve exceptional objectives
- Who can thrive in ambiguity and a collaborative interest in contributing to a growing and evolving global programme
- Who is a communicator and influencer, from board level through to technical level and is adept at managing up and beyond hierarchy
- Who has worked or consulted in developing and emerging economies and is sensitive to a diverse range of cultural and regional norms, and will foster a positive spirit of collaboration between our countries and our tech transformation offer
- With a bachelor’s or postgraduate degree or equivalent practical experience
- Candidates with fluency in English preferred
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We believe that politics done well has the power to transform lives. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has a variety of partners and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers: you’ll be focused on results