The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
Our partnership with the Government of Kenya is very strong and provides us with a high level of centre of government access, making our work impactful and highly rewarding. The intern will be directly exposed to senior government officials and other dignitaries on a regular basis and will have the opportunity to shape policy reform and government delivery at an exciting time of political and economic change in Kenya.
We also engage actively with the domestic and foreign private sector, providing opportunities to be part of meaningful impact investment discussions.
The Intern will also have the opportunity to visit field locations and experience first-hand the realities of subnational governance and socio-economic development.
Located in the central delivery infrastructure of the government (Ministry of Interior, Implementation Committee, PDU, CoS), the Kenya team is developing a new team under the remit of its new Country Head and Senior Advisor to lead the establishment of a strong presence at the Centre of Government. The team provides support to the President and his delivery teams to enhance a number of critical functions including monitoring, enhancing capacity and improving communications for programme delivery particularly around the President’s Big 4 agenda.
The Intern will be part of the TBI team in Kenya, directly supporting our workstreams across the priorities of PVE, housing, education, food security and manufacturing.
- Undertake economic research and value chain analysis in the main priority areas;
- Prepare briefings on key issues related to Kenya’s economic development, including relevant recommendations for priority flagship projects under the B4;
- Support TBI’s capacity building and process engineering offering for relevant government counterparts, notably in the areas of desk research, data collection and analysis, and other technical and management issues.
- Develop frameworks for delivery including implementation and monitoring plans, outcome based performance management products and reporting.
- Support TBI’s internal research and reporting, eg mapping of stakeholders, project strategy development, preparing internal briefs etc
- Knowledge of key issues related to economic development in Kenya – specific knowledge of one or more of the outlined priorities an asset;
- Conducting desk research, data collection and analysis;
- Good written and interpersonal communications skills (Swahili is an asset but not essential);
- Experience in project design, management consulting and/or evaluation;
- Knowledge of delivery principles and processes is an asset;
- Ability to take initiative and to work both independently and in a team.
About The Institute
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change we are dedicated to making globalisation work for the many, not the few. We do this by helping countries, their people and their governments, address some of the most difficult challenges in the world today – beginning with those where we think we can break new ground, offering leaders new thinking and new approaches. Our staff – over 200 of them, based all over the world – are working on some of the most intractable problems around issues of co-existence, governance, the peace process in the Middle East and renewing the centre.