The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Lome
The job has expired.
Focus of the Role
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
The Tony Blair Institute has been supporting the Government of Togo since 2017, including the establishment of a delivery unit to accelerate the implementation of priority projects, policy advice on key economic and social reforms, as well as investment facilitation support.
Today, Togo’s National Roadmap 2025 focuses on three key areas: 1) strengthening
social inclusion and harmony and consolidating peace, 2) boosting job creation through the development of productive sectors, and 3) modernizing the country and strengthening its agencies.
To support this ambition, the TBI country team provides embedded support across various government institutions to facilitate the implementation of flagship projects and key reforms with high potential for large-scale job creation and the predominant involvement of the private sector. Our team currently works across different sectors, including tourism, agriculture, manufacturing, energy and climate
We are looking for an Agribusiness Advisor to be embedded in the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries (MAPAH), to support the development of Togo’s agricultural transformation, with a focus on private sector development. Working alongside government counterparts and other key stakeholders, you will be mainly responsible to provide high-quality implementable advice within the Ministry, and support coordination with other government agencies and/or department responsible for the implementation of priority agribusiness projects.
2 year contract. Relocation assistance will be considered for the successful candidate
Please apply asap as the reviewing of cv’s and process will commence from the 26th June 2023
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Support the Ministry for the implementation of agribusiness flagship projects in the agriculture sector, including but not limited to supporting the development and effective implementation of agribusiness parks,
- Assist the Ministry in prioritising most transformative value chains (at both crop and downstream product level) with export potential, and developing delivery systems and tools to ensure effective implementation of adequate policy measures;
- Supporting the Ministry’s efforts to improve the enabling environment, business ecosystems and policy framework for the highest priority export-oriented value chains;
- Identify institutional gaps that need to be addressed to attract investment into promoting local agro-processing products and improving access to markets.
- Work alongside TBI colleagues, government counterparts and international partners to undertake key value chain analysis and implementation support;
- Help improving access to markets for Togolese agriculture produce with a focus on strengthening local agribusiness SMEs;
- Support the improved packaging of investment projects into agro-processing for export and high-value local transformation;
- Assist the MAPAH in its interactions with international agribusiness investors;
- Support the TBI Country Head and other team members on various strategic initiatives, including contributing to skills development of local analysts and capacity-building programs.
We are looking for outstanding individuals with a proven track record of delivery in the public or private sectors. The successful candidate will thrive in an environment where the importance of personal initiative coupled with teamwork is critical. Above all you will build effective relationships, win trust, and help shape and influence change in government.
- Significant experience working on Agriculture Transformation Programmes or investment promotion work in emerging markets especially in Sub Saharan Africa and or similar contexts, including but not limited to issues related to international trade, private investment, commercial agriculture, market linkages and value chain development;
- Experience facilitating and attracting companies to invest in agro-processing in emerging markets for export.
- Extensive conceptual and methodological skills and in applying qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Experience in the development and implementation of project management and/or matrix frameworks;
- Experience in institutional development and organisational change management, including process and system design;
Competencies and skills
- Excellent in building and managing effective relationships, including the ability to navigate a complex political environment. Experience working in Africa is desirable;
- Ability in influencing, coaching and delivering change through others;
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, strategic planning and decision-making capabilities;
- A creative and entrepreneurial approach to overcoming barriers and making change happen, and the ability to cope in an emotionally demanding environment;
- Strong team player with outstanding team management skills;
- Self-starter, motivated and proactive with solutions;
- Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice;
- Fluency in French and English is required.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Above all, we are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude. Experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It works with a variety of partners and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\'re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.