Focus of the Role
We are looking for outstanding individuals with a proven track record of delivery in the public or private sectors. We seek to create international and multi-disciplinary teams and are looking for individuals with relevant industry experience.
In order to apply you are required to complete an online application form which includes uploading your CV (no longer than 2 pages) and completing a 300 word personal statement explaining why you want to work at the Institute and your suitability to the role
Togo’s economic growth has been sustained in recent years and shows signs of acceleration (3.9% between 2007 and 2013, and 5.6% between 2013 and 2015). This growth was largely supported by an active policy of public investment that contributed to the development of the country's infrastructure. However, key sectors of the economy continue to face challenges that hinder structural transformation and industrial development.
To answer this, Togo’s new National Development Plan 2018-2022 focuses on three key areas: 1) setting up an excellence logistics hub and world-class business centre, 2) developing agricultural processing, manufacturing and extractive industries, and 3) consolidating social development and strengthening mechanisms for inclusion. Togo aims to achieve its ambition through the implementation of flagship projects with high potential for large-scale job creation and the predominant involvement of the private sector.
The Agribusiness Advisor will be embedded in the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries (MAPAH), to support the development of Togo’s agricultural sector, with a focus on private sector development.
Specific duties include:
- Supporting the development of Togolese agribusiness SMEs
- Identify high-potential Togolese agribusiness SMEs based on a set of clearly-defined criteria
- Review and/or develop SMES’ detailed business plans and financial projections for submission to lenders and investors
- Develop easy-to-use tools for business plan development and financial modelling for agribusiness SMEs
- Advise SMEs on international market opportunities for their products and market access channels
- For each SME, develop visually-compelling presentations for potential customers and/or investors
- Train additional agribusiness SMEs on business plan and financial projections development
- Supporting the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Livestock (MAPAH) with the delivery of various strategic initiatives related to the Togolese agricultural sector, including but not limited to the access to agricultural finance enhancement mechanism (MIFA)
- Support state entities involved in the development of agribusiness parks
- Undertake pre-feasibility studies for the design and financing of agro-processing zones, including market studies, financial modelling and investment structuring
- Assist the MAPAH in its interactions with international agribusiness investors
- Support the Country Head and other team members on various strategic and management issues, including contributing to skills development of local analysts.
All candidates will be required to have:
● A master’s degree in finance, business administration, economics, agronomy, engineering, or other relevant fields.
● At least 5 years of experience working on Agrifinance and/or Private Sector Development in the agricultural sector in emerging markets, with demonstrated expertise in business plan development, financial modelling, or project finance.
● Experience working with agribusiness Small and Medium Enterprises
● Experience working with senior executives is an asset.
● Experiential knowledge of institutional development and organisational management, including process and system engineering.
● Strong analytical and management skills, including sound knowledge of data analysis, strategic planning, and project management tools.
● Strong communications skills, including delivering high quality and visually-compelling presentations as well as effective cross-cultural and interpersonal communication.
● Fluent French and English speaking and written skills.
Above all, we are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude. Experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.
About The Institute
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change we are dedicated to making globalisation work for the many, not the few. We do this by helping countries, their people and their governments, address some of the most difficult challenges in the world today – beginning with those where we think we can break new ground, offering leaders new thinking and new approaches. Our staff – over 200 of them, based all over the world – are working on some of the most intractable problems around issues of co-existence, governance, the peace process in the Middle East and renewing the centre.