The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Economist / Policy Analyst
This job has been closed.
Focus of the Role
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
Alongside the Institute’s Advisory and Strategy and Partnerships divisions, the Policy and Politics division serves an important role for the Institute. The division generates analysis that shapes public debate, enhances the work of client governments, and supports partnerships which improve people’s lives. Our work is global in nature, but we also develop individual national strategies, including our flagship Future of Britain programme.
Our Economic Prosperity and Public Finance team sits within our Policy and Politics division, and covers all elements of UK and global economic policy. This includes the public finances, taxation, social security, labour markets and the Future of Work, housing, investment in innovation and new technology, better uses of data, opportunities to improve the future of public service delivery and more.
The postholder will be responsible for conduct research and analysis to develop clearer policy recommendations, as well as forming and managing key stakeholder relationships to build consensus and raise the organisation’s profile across key policy areas.
- Research, analysis and policy development
- Undertake rigorous, quantitative analysis using national statistics and household survey data in order to develop clear recommendations which can be implemented by leaders around the world, including client governments
- Get to grips with the detail of specific areas of economic policy in order to make effective proposals for reform
- Take an entrepreneurial approach to framing policy issues in insightful ways that motivate solutions
- Contribute to reports that elucidate policy challenges and help to develop radical but practical solutions, taking account of different political contexts
- Communicate, and advance policy recommendations for external audiences
- Stakeholder management
- Manage relationships key partner organisations and take advantage of external expertise to refine policy proposals
- Work to build consensus across partner organisations in support of key policy proposals and to raise TBI’s profile
- Represent TBI in the media and other public forums
- Project management
- Oversee collaborations with other research colleagues
- Provide regular updates to leadership
- Brief senior leaders on progress and timelines for delivery
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed individual who is/with:
- Can take responsibility for designing and conducting new, creative and rigorous policy research and analysis
- Able to capture data, present information and prepare policy products at speed and to a high standard
- Experience with analysing large household datasets and other data sources
- Knowledge of statistical analysis tools such as Stata.
- Familiar with a range of quantitative and econometric techniques
- The versatility to apply analytical skills to new areas of economic policy
- Comfortable with briefing senior colleagues and external clients
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- Strong project management and organisational skills
- Possesses a keen interest in politics, policy and current affairs and a passion for using creativity and analysis to produce radical progressive policy solutions
- Ability to work flexibly and under pressure to adapt to changing approaches and situations ‘on the ground’
- An understanding of the key economic policy issues in TBI focus countries and beyond
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, or equivalent practical experience
- Fluent in English
- Has an existing right to work in the UK
- A postgraduate degree in Economics
- Experience working on one or more areas of economic policy in a think tank, government, academic or consulting environment