The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Manila
Country Director, Philippines
Focus of the Role
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
The Advisory practice within the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change (TBI) advises reforming political leaders and governments on strategy, policy and delivery and in so doing achieve significant and positive impact for citizens around the world.
A growing element of our Advisory Practice is our work in Asia. This includes a track record of success in Central Asia, a new large-scale project in Indonesia, and multiple new opportunities in Asia. This represents an exciting and newly defined geographic management area for TBI, with exciting growth plans for 2023 to expand our impact, FTE size and footprint.
To support our growth, we are recruiting a Country Director (Philippines) to lead, build, and strengthen our offer and solution areas in the Philippines. The role will report to our Managing Director, Asia.
The person will be based in the Philippines and be fluent in Filipino.
The Country Director (Philippines) will have the following accountabilities:
- Through the delivery of quality and relevant insights, build and maintain a relationship of trust with the country’s most senior government officials
- Be able to suggest and convince the government on key development priorities that TBI could be supporting, which place sustainable social and economic development at their core
- Hold operational accountability for the effective management of client relationships with co-development (with the Managing Director, Asia) of account prospects
Team management and internal coordination
- Provide detailed direction to the TBI in-country team across workstreams, ensuring efficient project planning, effective task allocation, pertinent content development and follow-through
- Provide direct support to your team when needed, including through sharing content knowledge, supporting in analysis or in development of client deliverables
- Be receptive to team’s professional and personal concerns, ensuring their well-being and acting as a coach to improve their professional skills and on the job satisfaction
- Ensure projects bring the very best of TBI to clients by harnessing the skills, knowledge and capacity of political, policy and research functions across TBI, including the Global Client Solutions team
- Hold final accountability for the quality, timeliness and scope alignment of client-facing deliverables
- Hold final accountability for the efficacy and efficiency of project teaming, including management of performance reviews for the project team
- Keep the Managing Director, Asia thoroughly updated on workstream progress and potential bottlenecks
- Lead the development of internal TBI policies for the country, risk register and emergency security package, and ensure TBI staff follow country protocols
- Contribute to recruiting efforts
We are looking for an outstanding individual:
- Broad and comprehensive experience in holding an advisory function to senior Philippine government officials
- Strong experience working in strategy development, particularly in management consulting, is highly advantageous
- Expertise in a topic and/or function salient to public sector advisory (i.e. public policy, government administration, economic development, digital transformation etc)
- Ability to effectively manage small-to-mid sized teams comprising a variety of skill-sets, nationalities and cultural backgrounds with an ethos focused on team success and genuine motivation for colleagues’ performance, growth and well-being
- An ability to work independently, think strategically and produce well-structured client-ready deliverables, including PowerPoint. A hands-on attitude, not shy on rolling sleeves up to support in the development of PowerPoint presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentational skills; able to quickly establish his or her credibility with the client
- Ability to operate within sometimes sensitive political contexts and be attuned to potential areas of conflict or tension. Apply sound judgement in all external engagements on behalf of TBI.
- A high level of comfort working in a fast-paced environment and handling multiple diverse workstreams at once while maintaining the ability to prioritise effectively
- Business fluency in English required. Fluency in Filipino is a must